I have a dream!

Started by deltawing, December 04, 2015, 06:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I have one to build Philip and would love to fly with you! 

Not sure I'll keep up with your 1200watts though.

deltawing

No worry, I'm using my stock vampire for formation flying and practice. The new one would only fly in occasion.
In fact my dream of formation flying would be flying slow in patterns, not racing.  It has to be "not fast' as it should allow time for join in, catch up and mostly correction.

I consider this video more a flying race than formation.
https://youtu.be/cmk4XtFPPMw

There was a video I seen before, two fiber glass vampire flying in formation with smoke! But I just can't locate it anymore.

deltawing

Oscar

It's not a true formation.  Felix and I decided to try flying in the same pattern (trying to follow the plane in front of you).  Wind was about 14km/h.  It's a lot harder than we thought.  But, we agree, it's lots of laugh and fun (that's what TEMAC is about - to have FUN!!!). 

If anyone who also have the Icon,  let's come out and fly together.  (Imagine lots of them flying together).

Note: No FPV.  Just camera attached to the Icon Canopy. 
https://youtu.be/MaUVttQYlkA

sihinch

Absolutely classic bit of disco, Oscar!

I'll fly whatever you want with you if I get a disco soundtrack!!!

piker

I only fly formation to the Bee Gee's  ;D

I must admit, watching these video's is making me think how the process could be improved to make for some good formation flying.  I'm thinking this:

Get identical planes, power systems, and weights.

Practice flying the at same speed as first priority.  Telemetry would make this even better.

Pick a dead calm day for the best chance at a stable and predictable flight.

Forget about one plane chasing another for the entire circuit.  Subtle variation in turns will screw up the flight differential.

Instead, have a goal of crossing a certain point on the field (perhaps the north edge of cut grass, in this case), at the same time, or very close.

Practice the timing to cross without diving or slowing.

Choose who will fly past where (near, far, middle) and determine an approximate height.

Focus on really nice formation for the fly past only, as that is where it really counts.

After getting the one portion of the flight matched up, the rest of the circuit will probably come together nicely too, although perhaps a little less tight than the fly past, at stage centre.  I think it will naturally improve because of the need to cross the certain point at the right time.

Then add another plane  ;D

I have no idea if this will help, or work.  Just some thoughts I had that I would try if I was flying formation.

Another approach that works... kinda... if to just toss a whole bunch of planes in the air at the same time and fly circuits.  Some are bound to fly in formation  ;D

Michael

One of the best techniques I've seen was shown to me by André W.

It is simple but very effective.

Once a group of planes is flying, the leader counts "1-2-3-turn!" and everyone make the turn at the same time. It really works well.

The other technique I saw was from Ron and Dave from Pinnacle. One person flies his plane absolutely level, straight, constant speed and predictable, while the other does mild aerobatics around the first plane. Especially if the planes are similar in colour, size and shape, it really looks like both planes are doing the aerobatics.
Michael

deltawing

I have this write up for sometimes, since many of you are interested in flying formation, I like to post it to generate more ideas and get more action soon. I have to say that I'm only an amateur in flying; my idea of this write up is use it as a starting point, please feel free for correction/changes. I guess two heads are better than one. (usually)

Before we could achieve formation with patterns, we have to master some basic techniques together.
I like what Robert has put up, it summarizes what have to do first.

QuoteGet identical planes, power systems, and weights.
Practice flying the at same speed as first priority.  Telemetry would make this even better.
Pick a dead calm day for the best chance at a stable and predictable flight.
Forget about one plane chasing another for the entire circuit.  Subtle variation in turns will screw up the flight differential.
Instead, have a goal of crossing a certain point on the field (perhaps the north edge of cut grass, in this case), at the same time, or very close.
Practice the timing to cross without diving or slowing.
Choose who will fly past where (near, far, middle) and determine an approximate height.
Focus on really nice formation for the fly past only, as that is where it really counts.

Similar to what Michael described the simple count "1-2-3 turn!", my idea is as follow:
Instructions of each ACTION (or pattern) are given ahead before a countdown; the purpose of countdown is to get each pilot ready and synchronize, do not execute the action until the ACTION word is call out at the end of countdown. 

Turn together in 3-2-1 TURN (together)
Roll together in 3-2-1 ROLL
Loop together in 3-2-1 LOOP
Invert together in 3-2-1 INVERT
Pull up (together) in 3-2-1 PULL UP
Split in 3-2-1 SPIT

Please throw in your idea.
;)

Candu

The morning crew does formation flying on a regular basis with their P51D Mustangs too. Bruce is the lead pilot by default (because he has the loudest voice? :D). Instead of saying 1-2-3... Bruce simply yells out "NOW!" when executing a loop. Sorry, no videos since my Mustang is not equipped with a camera!

bweaver

Bruce used to fly formation with the other guys and their P51 Mustangs until a midair collision, where Bruce decided to fly the wrong plane out of the mess in the sky.  I could have sworn I was flying my plane, right to the point were I landed it. Then I noticed it wasn't my plane, but I was proud of the landing anyhow. Needless to say I have the wing left and am building a new fuselage to carry on. 

We also fly formation with our other Warbirds.   

Formation flying is really fun.

sihinch

I couldn't resist! I pulled the stock fan out of the Vampire and installed a changesun 10 blade plus 2000kV motor for 6S! I wanted 1200watts like Philip!

Skyking

To add to Roberts list:

Plan with the other pilot what you are trying to accomplish on the flight.
Stand near enough that one pilot (leader?) can communicate his intentions.
Debrief with your wingman afterwards and plan what might work better.
Actually, I can.

sihinch

Re: plan what might work better.....

"Fly closer!"

deltawing

Check this out.
Just love it and keep me going.
Guess we could try harder in 2017.

https://youtu.be/eAjGEj4FR6w

and this one too. (HD 1080P)

https://youtu.be/2H9G8BvOx4g

https://youtu.be/hj7vU7QurHU