Revolver 70

Started by bfeist, June 18, 2013, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

Hi Bobmic,
I took some shots of the inside of my Revolver for you. Looks like I didn't install pull-pull for the rudder. I used all the provided hardware. And I didn't mount the elevator servo sideways. All stock.

Oh, the two elevator pushrods are held together with the provided collets but also some red threadlock.

Ben

Bobmic

This will be a quick build thread and maybe get some opinion.
It should be an "Assembly" not a build because the Revolver seems to be a simple ARF to assemble, however I do have a couple of changes in mind based on feedback from Ben and RC Groups.

I will start with a couple of mods:
1. Added a couple of 1/4" plywood ribs to reinforce the landing gear. I know that there is a second method that might be stronger but I wanted to minimize the cuts I made and did not want to cut the covering.
2. Elevator horns replacement - using the supplied horns would have forced me to bend the pushrods outwards and I decided to use some of my ball links from my past life which seem to work quite nice.
3. Based on a thread on RC Groups I liked the idea of mounting the elevator servo on an adapter plate to allow the servo arm to move inline with the elevator pushrods - since these are two pushrods using the standard mounting method for the servo might cause a minimal miss alignment in the elevator halves when the servo pushes or pulls - let me know if I am wrong with this assumption.
The plan is to cut both pushrods at to the same length and attach another straight piece that will go to the servo. - I was thinking to solder all three wires together (the two from the elevator and the one to the servo). Can I just wrap some flexible wire around and solder with regular tin?
- Pushing to full up requires quite a bit of power but I hope will not need such a deflection as I might need a different servo. A deflection of up to 40mm is not an issue but going to 50mm is a big difference.

A couple of questions:
1. Is the adapter plate I made for the elevator strong enough (its a 2mm plywood with two epoxied hardwood blocks) ?
2. I was thinking to use pushrods stops to attached the pushrods to the servos thus allowing adjustment instead of bending the pushrods as the manual recommends (I do have adjustment capability close to the horns. Should I reconsider this method and just bend the pushrods?
3. The wheels supplied are hard foam wheels and although they are very light I was considering using the same size Hangar 9 low bounce rubber wheels to reduce  "bounciness" on landing and Taxi - does it make sens or should I use the supplied wheels.

Thank you
Bobby

Bobmic

Quote from: bfeist on June 18, 2013, 08:44:29 PM
Hi Bobmic,
I took some shots of the inside of my Revolver for you. Looks like I didn't install pull-pull for the rudder. I used all the provided hardware. And I didn't mount the elevator servo sideways. All stock.

Oh, the two elevator pushrods are held together with the provided collets but also some red threadlock.

Ben

Thank - looks simple and clean maybe I will drop the elevator servo plate I made... (I uploaded a couple of pictures on the build thread).

Bobby

Wingnutz

You'll enjoy the model Bobby. I have the 70" (which is no longer the biggest Revolver) 6S 4500mah with recommended motor and prop. I went a bit overboard on the ESC and have a 100A CC ICE. The power is lots for me! It's also the only model my wife bought for me which makes it special.
Have fun!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bfeist

Just merged part of the other thread into here for you. Looks like you're well on your way!

Ben

Bobmic

...Any thoughts about the wheels?
From what I can see (and read) the landing gear is quite rigid and the wheels are 3" hard foam - the nice thing is that they are light but I was thinking maybe to switch to the low bounce rubber coated Hangar 9 or Dubro wheels.
Any ideas should go with new ones or keep the supplied set?

Thx

Papa

Hi Bobby, if you join two push rods to an extension there is a neat solution. Try using a small piece of brass tubing to hold all three pieces and solder. Use some silicone at one end to stop the solder running out. If you roughed up the ends you could also use J. B. Weld.

For added security you can bend the ends at 90* then they will never pull out.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

bfeist

Quote from: Bobmic on June 21, 2013, 07:41:43 AM
...Any thoughts about the wheels?
From what I can see (and read) the landing gear is quite rigid and the wheels are 3" hard foam - the nice thing is that they are light but I was thinking maybe to switch to the low bounce rubber coated Hangar 9 or Dubro wheels.
Any ideas should go with new ones or keep the supplied set?

Thx

Stock wheels are just fine. This plane won't land if you land hard or fast, it'll bounce (wing angle increases lifting it back up as tail settles). That's why I recommended reenforcing the landing gear mount which I see you did. If you bring it in nose high and touch tail first (or better, 3 point landing) you're golden.

Bobmic

Thank you guys,
I like your suggestion Jack, for now I used the supplied hardware with the collars only to have more freedom to adjust the length of the pushrods separately as I don't have much adjustment on the clevis.
I am sure I will use your suggestion at one point in time.

Ben - Thanks for the clarification about the wheels.

In the mean time I installed all servos bent the pushrods and added the horns and clevises.
Next will be the wheel axles and the motor with cowling.

Unfortunately I will have to wait with the maiden late July as I will not have too much time to work on it before I go on vacation... ;D

Bobby

Bobmic

So after a very long time I was able to finish the revolver and finally fly it over the weekend.
-Thank you Ben for all the tips.

As expected I was more than a bit afraid to maiden it due to an overall lack of flying time in the summer but I had to do it.
First flight I actually landed like a pro no bouncing at all.
Landing on the next flights where bouncing like crazy - nothing crazy but anoying, and I do remmember Ben writing about that and saying I should touch down on the rear wheel first and that this is a bit scary which it is.
Anyhow landed about 10 times until I broke the landing gear. Was not a hard landing but I was landing in a bit of a cross wind and I forced it to straighten along the runway when it was just touching down.
- I did the reinforcement on the landing gear but not the one with the wooden block screwed to the landing gear and the firewall which apperantly was a mistake - hopefully the Gorilla glue will hold now....

- Probably need to order a couple of batteries asi flew it with a 4000mAh 25-50C Nanotech and a 4500mAh 35-70C.
By the way I programmed flapperons but did not try to land with them, maybe I should set one position with both ailerons up and flip the switch the second I touch down.
Anyhow I am sure with more practice things will be better.

I the mean time it's a realy nice looking BIG plane.

Bobby

Ededge2002

I witnessed the maiden and other flights. The revolver is a very solid flyer. Looks to draw nice straight lines with ease at very little power. Bobby despite his claimed nervousness handled it with ease. That landing gear pulling out wasn't deserved!  I find the glue the ARF company's use to glue gear and various other plywood portions of the airframe poor at best.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

Congrats on the maiden! I would suggest against flaperons or spoilerons. That wing is so thick it'll float down at a 45 degree angle with the nose up with no stall. The landing is really an exercise in proper (slow) ground speed on touchdown. If you land to quickly, it bounces.

I suggest on your next flight that you take it up to a nice high altitude and practice flying it as slowly as you can. Get to know the slow stall characteristics and you won't be as nervous during a slow approach.

Wingnutz

Congrats on the maiden Bobby!  I've watched you fly other models and you really didn't need to be nervous...you fly well.
I re-maidened mine about a month ago after frying the first motor and tearing out the landing gear on the ensuing dead stick landing. My fault on the first motor fry...the motor  mounting bolts were too long, protruded into the back of the motor pressing on one of the insulated wires inside the motor and shorting out once the motor got really hot...about 3-1/2 min in this case...
Have fun! I'm looking forward to watching you fly it!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Bobmic

Hope the weather will cooperate so I can fly more this coming weekend. ...I have some catching up to do:).
I guess it will be a learning curve until I figure out how to consistantly land it nicely. It's definitely a nice size plane.