Phantom re-build

Started by sihinch, October 16, 2013, 11:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I've had a little bit of a bad time recently with crashing planes!  :-[

Last weekend I crashed my Phantom EDF.  It was only a cheap airframe, but it flew great.  So, as usual, I picked up all the pieces, left it on the side for a day or two, and then decided to fix it.

The whole nose was smashed in, and the internal structure had collapsed.  So I'm taking the Frank VB approach to fixing it.....

• Put all the pieces back together
  • Reinforce the structure
  • Make it look nice

I will also be taking the opportunity to make the nose look more like the RAF Phantom, rather than the US Navy Phantom that the kit started out as.  :)

Watch this space for the finished article!

sihinch

Just looking back at my photos, you could also have a competition to see who can spot all the other models in the pictures.... ;D

imran13

Why not take this opportunity to make it look war-beaten? ;D
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

battlestu

Quote from: sihinch on October 16, 2013, 11:47:22 AM
Just looking back at my photos, you could also have a competition to see who can spot all the other models in the pictures.... ;D

i'll take a crack at it...

Airfix Buccaneer, Airfix Harrow, F-22A, F1 car, Hawker Hunter, and something from Eflite.

The first few will be a challenge to get them flying ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Not bad, Greg! Not bad!

You missed at least one, though!  ;D

imran1042

Quote from: sihinch on October 16, 2013, 03:05:21 PM
Not bad, Greg! Not bad!

You missed at least one, though!  ;D

F44-t or t-44f? Its unclear lol
Any day at the field is a good day :)

sihinch

Ededge2002

is that an A10 in the first picture in the huge box?
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Obviously that Simon's new Hawker Hunter.  Can't you guys see?

Michael

Good going Simon.

I had some bad luck a couple weeks ago with my Flyfly Hawk; lost an elevator in flight, and then lost a wheel seconds before landing.

(I don't know how he did it, but Jay found both pieces. Thanks, Jay!)

The 'cartwheel landing' resulted in a totally smashed-to-bits nose.

I glued back together what parts I could, and added scrap styrofoam as needed. Filled, sanded, painted and decorated.

Maybe 4 hours of work total.

Not perfect, but nice enough and it will fly again.

Michael

sihinch

Nice job, Michael. Very inspirational.

sihinch

I made a little more progress on the Phantom last night.  I added some balsa strengtheners on the right side of the fuse, and added a bit more filler, so it is starting to look better.  Then I also cut 1" out from the nose, to make it shorter like the RAF Phantom, and cut some foam to blend the curves in a little better.

Hopefully I will finish it tonight and get ready for some fresh paint.

sihinch

Well, I finished it, and returned it to my hangar in "airworthy" condition. 

After I'd painted the nose in the matching grey paint, it was too shiny and new compared with the rest of the aeroplane.  So I had to bite the bullet and use an airbrush (first time every, without Greg C!!!) and the compressor that I bought from Colin.  The result.......not anything like what Greg C does, but a good first attempt.

Now I'm planning to re-paint the Goshawk/Hawk EDF that I bought from Jim.  Watch for a new-look airframe and hopefully some better airbrush skills!

sihinch

By the way, the model that no-one named was the Koenig Competition Evolution.  A 1000bhp modified Ferrari Testarossa from 1985!

"German tuners Koeing took a Ferrari Testarossa, replaced almost all the body panels, breathed on the 5L engine and added a couple of IMSI turbos for good measure. The result? 230mph, 0-125mph in 10sec and a simply unbelievable 1000bhp!"

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?