Grandchildren/Guillow’s Winter Project

Started by bweaver, December 23, 2015, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

I thought I would start a new thread detailing my (our) latest project.  (Mine and my two oldest grandchildren, Hannah 10 and Ben 6.)

Both of my grandchildren have expressed interests in my planes at times and have been out to the flying field a number of times to watch me fly and look at the other old farts flying theirs. 

As a pass time, while I have looked after them, we have put together a number of Dollar Store planes, including plywood, foam and balsa aircraft that have included, helicopters and hand launch planes.  These were simple, easy to build and play with aircraft.  A couple of the plywood models that were completed, the kids have kept in their bedroom proudly displaying them on their chest of drawers. (I guess they were too embarrassed to take them outside and let their friends see them.) They were obviously proud of what they had constructed, including painting them.

So, this summer I thought I would take the next step and get into a more challenging project with them.   So off to Pinnacle I went and purchased a small 24 inch wing span Guillow's balsa model that I thought we could do together.  Then with second thoughts, I thought I had made a mistake.  I had to go back some time later and get another similar kit so that each of the kids would have one of their own. 

After having the kits at home for some time, the kids would see the kits on the shelf and ask about them.  I told them we would build them together when we got the chance.  I let this occur a number of times, to see how well the 'hook was set' before we started into the project together. (How committed were they?)

Well, Christmas holidays were coming and both of the kids were eager to get started, so this morning we did.

The plan is to make each model into a 3 channel indoor aircraft.  Here are some photo's of day ones progress.

To start construction, I reviewed the kit contents with the kids advising that the project is going to take a number of days to complete and that I will assist them to construct the planes and get them airborne. 

With the kids being eager to begin, they started by removing all of the parts from the balsa sheets. (Laser cut - easy as can be.)  They covered the plans with waxed paper. Then with little assistance other than verbal instructions, they built the wings and horizontal tail surfaces directly over the plans.  They accomplished the construction. I did the glueing.

sihinch

Fabulous project Bruce. Wonderful story. They both look very happy with their progress.

piker

Wow!  They've both done fantastic work so far.  Great job!

Skyking

Well done Bruce.
Quality time one on one (well, two on one) builds relationships and memories.
Wait 'til they see them fly!
Actually, I can.

Andy Hoffer

Fantastic Bruce.  So nice to see kids engaged in actually doing a hands-on project and building their repertoire of skills at an early age!  Great for their hands and minds and great time together with you to guide them.

Andy

battlestu

Very cool.... Looking forward to the flight report :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

octagon

Good job Bruce. I'm sure a lot of us got hooked on the hobby by fathers or grandfathers  who helped us. I built that Aeronca Champ when I was about 12 years old under the guidance of my father who had been building models since they melted old toothbrushes for glue. You grandchildren look very proud of their efforts, rightfully so. Good on ya.
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Bruce:

I have two brand new 2 cell E-Flite Brushless 5 amp ESC's, two used E-Flite 250's, two new 2 cell Rhino 250-ish mah lipo's and probably a few 5 g. servos as well if that would help them get going... all for the price of one small Tim Horton coffee* :D.
If you want them I will bring them to the New Year's funfly.

Frank

* you didn't think it was for free did you? ;D

"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

:D

G Frank,  Christmas comes early.  I can't wait to tell the kids. Thanks so much.  You will recieve a number of Timmy's for your charity.

I am just on my way out the door to their place.  I will post todays progress when I have a little more time.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 24, 2015, 02:27:19 PM
Bruce:

I have two brand new 2 cell E-Flite Brushless 5 amp ESC's, two used E-Flite 250's, two new 2 cell Rhino 250-ish mah lipo's and probably a few 5 g. servos as well if that would help them get going... all for the price of one small Tim Horton coffee* :D.
If you want them I will bring them to the New Year's funfly.

Frank

* you didn't think it was for free did you? ;D

What happened to the partridge in the pear tree???!   ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Bruce,

Can't you read!   ;D

"all for the price of one small Tim Horton coffee"

One is it!*

Frank

* this way you can tell your wife you paid for it! Remember how our wives always think we dump mega bucks at hobby shops. :D

bweaver

;D

Thanks so much Frank, the kids and I are thrilled. 

The project moved on to the fuselage this morning.  The kids excitement for building again today started off pretty well, but the construction of the fuselage is a little more complex.  Hannah's fuse was put together following the instructions while Ben's involved building directly over the plans. 

While Ben has one half of his fuselage complete, Hannah has half of the fuselage complete.  Ben stuck by my side while glueing up both assemblies.  Hannah watched a TV program while not being too impressed with my glueing abilities.

I asked Hannah and Ben if I could take a picture of them to show off their enthusiasm.

Frank v B

Oh, grandpa, ::)

Glad things are moving along.  Your equipment bag is all sorted out and ready.  The batteries are Rhino 2S 350's but very small.  There are 4 motors in the bag just in case one type fits better than another when you customize the plane's nose for electric.  If I could have the unused motors back.

See you New Year's day.

Frank

ps: maybe your grandchildren want to teach the building course on Jan 20.  Piker and I can learn a thing or two. :D

note: much of this stuff was given to me by people who were either downsizing, estate stuff or pure gifts for re-distribution to worthy recipients.  That's why the price is zero....plus a small coffee.

bweaver

PA day today, so it was time to get back to the project. 

The structures are pretty well completed, with minor stuff I will finish on my own so that I can proceed with the installation of the electronics.  I will explain the installation of the various electronic components to the kids, but I think I will be challenged in doing this with my large fingers and limited brain synapses.

Ben who is six is quite impressed with the fuselage, especially after the balsa landing gear was attached.  He played with the fuselage upside down and says that it looks like a starwars fighter. ??? He also had to test out placing a couple of his lego people in the fuselage because he thought the plane would need a passenger.

After the electronics are installed in the fuselage our next step will involve jointly covering all the parts separately, then attaching them together to make each plane.  Ben has selected yellow for his cub and Hannah has selected red for her Aeronca Champ. I am using Coverlite for both planes, which will be attached with Cover Grip, a covering film adhesive recommended by Dave at Pinnacle.

I am really impressed with the quality and ease with which the laser cut parts fit together. (A far cry from the Guillows kits I used to put together as a kid.)

The following pictures illustrate todays' progress with the fuselage and tail surfaces.  The kids are pleased with the progress and so is gramps.  :o

Andy Hoffer

Looks great Bruce.  Rob Pike will have some stiff competition this year!!  ;D

Andy