Brian Taylor Cessna 120 build

Started by octagon, December 26, 2020, 07:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Hey Guys. Thanks for the kind words. I have found that rather than building to get the plane finished, it is much more rewarding to get it finished strait and square. I think this plane is pretty good, and is light at under 5 pounds flying weight. I am looking as my next project as a Howard Pete. A small, beautiful racing plane from the 30s.
What could possibly go wrong?

Wingnutz

Hey Rob,
Just saw this build thread...
One of the guys at our local airport has a beautiful, flying regularly, example of one of these (full size)...not sure if it's a 120 or 140, but I'll check next time I'm there and send you a photo if the covers are off.
Cheers,
Bill
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Hey Bill Q.  Good to see your written word.

Rob, I was curious about the Howard Pete so here is the background for the curious.

Frank

http://www.airracinghistory.freeola.com/aircraft/Howard%20DGA-3.htm
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Thanks for sending that link Frank. I was interested to learn that after Pete, Mike and Ike, he built Mr Mulligan. His wife's maiden name was Mulligan and he named it after her. They were flying back from the west coast when the experienced an engine failure and crashed. Apparently they were trapped in the plane all night. As I understand it that was the end of his racing career.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: octagon on February 02, 2021, 11:01:48 AM
Thanks for sending that link Frank. I was interested to learn that after Pete, Mike and Ike, he built Mr Mulligan. His wife's maiden name was Mulligan and he named it after her. They were flying back from the west coast when the experienced an engine failure and crashed. Apparently they were trapped in the plane all night. As I understand it that was the end of his racing career.

hey @octagon ,

As a fine ATC guy once said,  "What could possibly go wrong?!"   8)

Andy

Wingnutz

Nice! Great to see someone doing a super job on an aircraft that's not frequently modelled. Covers were on the 120 at my local airport (CNF4) so I didn't take a picture. Hoping to see your model flying...in person!

octagon

Thanks for the kind words Bill. It was a Brian Taylor design short kit from Sarik. There is also a good build log on RC groups. He is a super scale guy, down to hinges on the cowl, rivets and even the disc brakes. I am not a super scale builder, don't have the talent or the patience for that level of detail. What else is nice is that I can fit it in my car without taking the wing off.

Andy Hoffer

@octagon was kind enough to indulge me for a photo shoot of his stunning Cessna 120 today.  Conditions were absolutely PERFECT for photographing his superbly crafted nostalgic aviation artistry on skis:  -7oC, wind chill -14oC with brisk west winds at 30 gusting 40 kmh, brilliant sun with scattered cumulus cloud and a dusting of fresh snow.  We decided on York Cemetery as a backdrop to provide some entertainment for the residents in lockdown there.  Absent any approval from them we elected not to fly, but the plane sure tried its (un)level best to lift off several times in the very gusty winds!

Looking forward to Take 2 after the graphics arrive from Callie. 

Thanks Rob!

Andy

GuyOReilly

Great pictures of a gorgeous plane!

Wingnutz

Wonderful pics! Particularly like the first one with the snow blowing out behind and the prop turning. Andy, did you have to dig a hole in the snow to get the camera low enough for that one?
Good job guys!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Wingnutz on February 08, 2021, 08:10:18 AM
Wonderful pics! Particularly like the first one with the snow blowing out behind and the prop turning. Andy, did you have to dig a hole in the snow to get the camera low enough for that one?
Good job guys!

Thanks @Wingnutz !  I just imitated a penguin belly skating on the ice!  And you can't go wrong with a fabulous subject.

Cheers!  Andy

Athol

Wingnutz

Was at the local (Lindsay) airport today. Luke, the owner of the C-120, I referred to earlier was there to go flying, so the covers were off. It's 1946, 85 hp (Continental I think) last painted in 1997, but still looking great! Almost as good as yours, Rob! Will post a short video from my phone, if I can ever figure out how to edit it! https://youtu.be/f8PsJDxq4qE
Luke had to abort two take off attempts as the air speed indicator was not functioning on the take off runs.
The second photo is of a Thurston Teal which showed up at the fuel pumps for Lindsay's cheap av gas. Looks like it would be right at home at a model airplane float fly...(okay, a bit big!)

Athol

Nice Pics @Wingnutz - the Yellow Float Plane looks like a cinch for @electroflyer & @Michael

Wingnutz

Must be more of these old birds around than I figured. Another one visited Lindsay today! Had to take this one from inside the car.