GWS FW-190 build

Started by sihinch, April 10, 2024, 12:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

When I joined TEMAC and learned to fly, the GWS warbirds were a great way to have fun. They were cheap, easy to build and I had great fun chasing Greg Cadez around the sky with them!

So I decided to build another one!

I found an EPO version of the FW-190 at A&J for a great price so I jumped in, for nostalgia!

I'm going to try and build it strong and light and do a killer paint job on it! That's the plan, anyway.

Here is the beginning after about 2 hours work.
The fuselage has the rudder and elevator control rod guides in place and the wing mounting nut.
The wing has a carbon rod in each wing with a wire dihedral brace.
The tail has a glass fibre rod along it and the battery hatch uses the GWS mentor of plastic pins - super simple but effective.

Gregor77

Cant believe that you found one!

sihinch

Unlike David's fabulously designed L-39, this GWS kit relies on old fashioned tech!

The elevators are joined by a wire. And having learned from making this mistake before, you have to feed the elevator joining wire through the gap in the fuselage for the horizontal stab, BEFORE you glue in the stab! Luckily, I did remember that today!

Now, this is a later EPO foam kit, not the EPS version, so it's a bit heavier. So I tried to beef up the way the elevator wire mounts to the elevators. I added a thin wooden plate on top of the wire joiner hoping it would stop any twist.  Unfortunately, despite being better, it's not eliminated elevator deflection difference side-to-side and I fear the heavier EPO foam model will exhibit this in flight.

I might see if I can get some wax paper down in the hinge line and add some extra epoxy.

msatin

Perhaps some fibreglass might stiffen it up a bit?
You never fail until you stop trying