Build class- fall 2016 Nov. 23

Started by Frank v B, November 09, 2016, 11:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The first build class will be in two weeks at Colonel Mustards. Wednesday, Nov 23 6 pm dinner, 7:30 off to work!
Tell me which disciplines you want the instructors to cover during the classes.
Malcolm and Ash are at the covering stage of their L-4 and P-51 projects so we will have a group doing that discipline.  As well, there is the Club Apprentice foam repair (fuse, motor mount and cowl are busted).  If there are general build questions or you just want to build for the first time, let me know the kit(s) you are considering and I will be happy to offer pros and cons.
I will be building a small 30" hand launch speed 400 bullet from scratch, start to finish during the rest of the meetings.
The evil quad build classes will be working out of a dark corner of the room at the same time.  Stephan has volunteered to give a demonstration on soldering.

Please use this post to register yourself and your wishes of build topics.  We need to know how many instructors we need to rope in assign for these classes. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

I look forward to attending these build classes throughout the "building season".

This year I plan to build a model that I had built and enjoyed very much in the past.  It's a kit I recently purchased online of the American Eaglet, a scale model of a 1930's homebuilt aircraft.  I bought the first kit in 1992, in Cape Cod, and was thrilled to find a kit that was intended for electric power... something very rare back then.  I built the model over the winter, and then flew it for many years and many, many flights.  It was also the plane I used to fulfill my childhood dream of flying an RC model from water.  It was such a mild and gentle flying plane that was perfect for those calm evenings at the lake.  In fact, flying from floats, I would consistently enjoy 15 minute flights from the old school, 1700mah, 7 cell NiCad battery pack on a brushed, Astro 05 motor.  And it was the plane I used for aerial photography with a disposable (film) camera, that required a servo to push the button, and a manual film advance on the ground, And I also used this plane to drop sky divers, which was always a lot of fun.

Anyway, I've been feeling a need for a plane like this to fly on those dead calm evenings, or mornings at the lake, and figured since I don't really have a workshop setup in my new house yet, this model would be a fairly simple and portable project for this winter.  I'm looking forward to sharing the build with the group.

Oh... and I'm choosing to NOT finish the Skywritter this winter because... really, that plane is not high on my "Must have flying for next year" list.   ;D

Here's a picture of the box lid model... I know... It ain't the prettiest aircraft in the world... but it has a certain charm to me... probably because I know how nicely it flies...

Frank v B

Looks like this Piker guy is a new member.  ;D I saw him at the last Pilot's Meeting.

Great to see you are back in the game and building something that flies.  Houses don't fly... unless you live in a trailer home in Kansas!   :D
If you could build the American Eaglet start to finish at the Build classes then any member who is building from a kit can build along with you.
I will then switch my starting project to covering the wings of a .46 size Mustang from the Cadez collection. This way Malcolm and Ash can handle their projects while I work on the wing.

Note: the .46 size Mustang was originally a gasser.  I have already converted the firewall and installed the E-motor.  Anyone who wishes to do a conversion project can use this fuse as a guide.  I will bring it.

Frank

piker

This new guy will have to build at home too, between classes as I've realized that there just isn't enough time, or focus during the classes to get a plane built in class alone.  But I'll bring the bits and board in each class and work and answer questions as a regular part of the group discussion... as usual.

Frank v B

Was at John's Hobbies today and told Roger about our build class for this year.  He is donating 6 bottles of CA for participants.  One will go to Piker for his build, one will go to that other instructor (me).  The remaining 4 will go to the first 4 people who sign up on this website who will either build from scratch or from a kit.  Anyone who is not on the TEMAC executive that is.
Hope they arrive before the first class.  I will let you know.

Frank

ps: John's Hobbies is getting in a new shipment from a different manufacturer and wants us to test it.  Apparently Border protection is no longer allowing retailers to receive CA kits from the US which the hobby shops have to put together (child-proof container, labels in both English and French).  No other manufacturer will ship in such small quantities of 1/2-1 oz.  The minimum the manufacturers will ship is a gallon.  There are only 4 manufacturers in the US.  Someone has to break them down to hobby size with labels for the Canadian Market.

piker

Hey Frank!  It looks like it'll just be you and me in the build class!!   ;D

sihinch

I'm coming to build "Executive" ARFs!

Frank v B

battlestu

i'm in as well... got a shoe string fuse that needs some work  ;D

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

thehaze

If I drop off my Hangar 9 p40 will someone build it for me?

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.