Custom-painting a Freewing Spitfire

Started by Michael, February 09, 2024, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I bought this used Freewing Spitfire, with the intention of painting it as a 1948 Israeli Spitfire. The full-size plane, flown in the late 1940s, is still in good condition and flyable today.
Michael

Michael

First step was to carefully remove as many decals as possible, and then paint those areas with grey primer paint. The primer is to make sure the surface texture is uniform before final painting.
Michael

Michael

The only change needed to the shape of the plane was the top-rudder outline. I simply cut of the old one, then glued on a properly shaped foam replacement, and then sanded it to shape.
Michael

Michael

I masked the canopy so painting the canopy frame would be easy.
Michael

Michael

Then I started painting. I used water-based matte and satin paints from Home Depot, and then covered the model with water-based clear gloss coat.
Michael

Michael

I then decorated the model with various coloured trim and custom decals. The canopy came out looking good.
Michael

Michael

Next is programming the radio stuff, and then to wait for a nice weather day to fly it.
Michael

sihinch

GuyOReilly

So cool looking.
Great job on the paint.

Frank v B

Neat!

Looks like the black one you had about 10 years ago.  Sometimes a paint scheme just won't go away.
Should be easy to see in winter clouds.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Successful maiden and 2nd flight today. Thanks to Glenn N. for his help and tips. Once my plane safely airborne and trimmed, he brought his Spitfire up to fly with me, both flights.
Michael

sihinch