Recent posts

Building / Construction / Re: More sticks! Frank's Guil...
Last post by Frank v B - June 14, 2024, 07:00:46 PM
Peter,

Great to help out someone halfway around the world.

It will fly fine on 1S but may be more affected by the wind than my 2S set-up.

About the polyhedral, don't overthink it.  As long as there are 3 dihedral breaks (one at the center plus one at each tip) and they are equal on both sides it will fly fine.

The more polyhedral the sharper the turns for flying in a restricted area (indoors or small fields).

One thing I always tell builders is if you make one wing half to completion and make the same mistakes symmetrically (equal on both sides) it will fly fine.  Transmitters have trim tabs to take out building errors.  ;D

Peter, feel free to post photos of the maiden flight.  Would love to see them.

Frank
Trading Post / Re: Wanted - Used Trainer
Last post by PDS - June 14, 2024, 04:31:28 PM
Hi Jeff,

If Paul's doesn't work out, I have a battered Apprentice that I learned on and still fly.  I can make it available to you.

The other Paul
General Discussion / Re: Toogood Electric Model Aqu...
Last post by PG54 - June 14, 2024, 04:05:22 PM
Hope the PT boat has depth charges incase Frank has any subs skulking in the weeds!
I'm in.
Paul
Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by sihinch - June 14, 2024, 03:50:27 PM
Ok, on to the next challenge! Adding the gunwales.

These curve with the curve of the bow and are attached to the deck. I was wondering how they would stay attached to the deck while retaining the curve. So I asked Frank how to bend wood....this led me to more research and reading.

So I steamed the wood and have taped it to the outside of the hull, hoping it will retain the curve when dry and the tape is removed.
Trading Post / Re: Wanted - Used Trainer
Last post by PG54 - June 14, 2024, 03:33:28 PM
Hi Jeff I can bring my 1.4m
Kingfisher to the field for Wednesday's training.
I still have all the accessories and spare parts.
Its a very easy fun flyer.
We can buddy box it for you and Frank to try out.
Paul

Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by sihinch - June 14, 2024, 11:53:28 AM
Yes!!!! I've just completed the task that was my biggest mental block on this build. I've added the spray rail.

I was challenged by the complex curve of the hull and the need for symmetry. Having painted the waterline (my other mental block) I had a reference point.

I used 1/16 balsa and then gave it a coat of thinned epoxy. Now I can finish the painting on the hull and prepare for a test float.
General Discussion / Re: Toogood Electric Model Aqu...
Last post by sihinch - June 14, 2024, 11:50:14 AM
Wow! Here's an incentive! If I can get my hull ready in time I'll come and test float my PT boat!
Trading Post / Wanted - Used Trainer
Last post by Fisherj - June 14, 2024, 11:26:43 AM
Looking to pick up a used trainer like and Apprentice or other suitable trainer? Open to any ideas/suggestions?
Jeff
General Discussion / Toogood Electric Model Aquaqti...
Last post by GuyOReilly - June 14, 2024, 09:15:12 AM
Good morning;
Here is a general invitation for those interested in model sailboats and other electric model boats.
On Monday June 17, 2024 at 14:00 (that is 2:00 pm by the way) Admiral of the TEMAC Fleet (me) will be bringing 2 sailboats and a small flotilla to Toogood Pond for an afternoon of joyful merriment - no matter the weather.
Transmitters are available should you wish to give it a try and sail one of my sailboats.
Here is a video taken recently when sailing with Bill Q ( @Wingnutz )  :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPDx5tDLnF0&feature=youtu.be
Rear-Admiral @Frank v B will also attend the event.
No reservation required.
Location: Main Street Unionville, parking available on Carlton Street. 
Google the address as: 276 Main St Unionville, Unionville, ON L3R 2H2
Hope to see you there!
Admiral of TEMAC Guy O'Reilly

Building / Construction / Re: More sticks! Frank's Guil...
Last post by tdo1 - June 14, 2024, 12:24:37 AM
Frank thanks for your  reply - I'm in Australia( I joined up last night so that I could ask you my question). I've taken some photos of where the plan was confusing me (not great photos but they should be good enough for you to see why I was confused).

You're confirming what I was thinking that if the wing is flat on the board then each tip can be the length of the measuring device off the board - I make it 39 mm you sound as though you made them 50 mm so I would have to decide whether to get a blade and change my 39 mm to 50.

With the the height above the board for the 2 centre sections Guillows seem to be suggesting in drawing 2 and drawing 3 that you use the same measuring device/stick of balsa as the outer dihedral - this is when the confusion began unless I'm misinterpreting something.

If I've got this right now I can use the 39 mm where I've glued or based on your actual flying get a blade and change  it to 50 mm and make the 2 centre sections 15 mm off the board?

I should add that I'm planning to use a receiver and motor and 1s Eflite battery from a UMX Radian so trying for ultra lite.
Unfortunately says my photos of the plan are too big
Peter