Recent posts

Flight Instruction / Re: Training Wed. June 12- 5 p...
Last post by Bill B - June 12, 2024, 04:11:10 PM
On our way with the tuc-tape in case anyone needs some.
Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by sihinch - June 11, 2024, 10:05:46 PM
Probably not that well!

A little painting this evening.
TEMAC Events / Re: Another BBQ day
Last post by Andy Hoffer - June 11, 2024, 06:29:37 PM
Oh dear.  How to gently tell Frank (@Frank V B) (post #5) that Ontario Hydro ceased to exist on April 1, 1999.  Maybe someone could recommend a firmware update.  😎

Andy Hoffer
Formerly with Ontario Power Generation, and with Ontario Hydro before that
(41 wonderful years charging batteries for RC electrics!!)
Last post by GuyOReilly - June 11, 2024, 10:26:06 AM
Looks great!
I wonder how well it will fly...   ;D
Last post by sihinch - June 11, 2024, 07:54:58 AM
Finally, some progress! After a month in the UK, I've come back at the PT boat with some renewed energy.

I was never happy with the hull primer so I sanded it off and re-sprayed it. That's good now. 👍🏻

Then, after a great discussion with Frank, Michael and David at flight training night, last week (see, you get building tips too!) I've masked the waterline.

It was a real mental block for me - how do you get a straight line on a curved surface? Anyway, as you can see, I went with the laser line route. I'm very happy with it! Hopefully painting tonight....
Building / Construction / Re: Trainer 40
Last post by GuyOReilly - June 09, 2024, 10:26:29 PM
First spar reinforcement epoxied in place.
Should be dry in a day or two.

Flight Instruction / Re: Training Wed. June 12- 5 p...
Last post by Omar - June 09, 2024, 02:13:22 PM
@ Frank..thanks. I will be there then around 5. Hope to catch up with you then.

-Omar
Trading Post / Re: Planes for Sale
Last post by davidk - June 09, 2024, 12:52:09 PM
It's yours Mike.  I'll send you a PM.
Trading Post / Re: Planes for Sale
Last post by Crash - June 09, 2024, 12:35:30 PM
David
I would be interested in the T28
Regards
Mike Brodey
416-804-5512
Building / Construction / Re: Trainer 40
Last post by Frank v B - June 09, 2024, 10:36:47 AM
Guy,

The butt glued wing is a feature of that vintage Great Planes Models kits.  The Kaos 40 pattern plane and the SuperSportster 40 had the same wing joints. 

When I built the SuperSportster 40 (low wing tail dragger) I did not like it either, cut a hole through the bottom of the wing and spliced in a piece of shaped 1x2 pine to catch wing ribs between the landing gear placements.  It became the landing gear mount as well. The buzz at the time was that the landing gear ripped out on a tough landing (my standard landing ;D).

See post 14 on the Polestar wing build thread when I added the 1x2 to the center section. https://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=8918.0

The fibreglass they use in the kit is significant weight and covers the entire center section.

If I were you, I would cut a slot behind or ahead of the main spar and slip in a piece of 1/8"(or thicker) plywood to span at least 2 ribs on each side of the center rib, glue it to the top and bottom spar and fibreglass it per plan. 

Great Planes kits were the best (flying and strength) in the late '80's and worked well as built per plan. The Sig kits were lighter (better balsa) but were more "builder's kits".

Belt and suspenders.
The choice is yours.

Frank