Ice Pilots

Started by Bobmic, January 01, 2013, 06:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on January 07, 2013, 09:55:58 AM
Hey guys.  Fair weather flyer here (a feel a little reluctant to post in the Ice Pilots thread   :))

But, like they say... opinions are like A$$H*les... everyone's got one   ;D

First, I don't think most people here would get the Milikan Park time frame reference, Pat.  To clarify, I think you're talking 1990ish... right?

And in my very humble opinion, Bobby, floats are a good way to go, especially considering what Andy was talking about.  My opinion is that ski's are great (and cool) when the snow conditions are ideal.  Soft and fluffy, but not too deep with the fluffy stuff.  The ski's have a pretty modest contact patch for the weight of the plane (unless we're talking about a light foamy.  Floats distribute the load better, have a large bow to "ski" up onto the snow, have a longer bow to prevent nose over, and generally a wider stance for lateral stability.  And of course, then you'd be set for float flying in the Spring  ;)

I must admit, the fun of flying with skis has given me a terrible itch to try float flying this summer!

Andy   

pmackenzie

Before Rogo, and before 14th avenue, there was Milliken Park. :)  I think everyone in TO who was flying electrics back in the day used that park.
It was less built up at the time, just a flat open field.
It was a great place to fly, till Toronto R/C club moved in a couple of blocks to the west and had us booted out. >:(
Late 80's to early 90's
We probably would have gotten the boot anyway because shortly after they continued to build up the park infrastructure.
But it still hurt that Toronto R/C (or at least some member) got us kicked out. Water under the bridge now.

(Those who know their history will  know that Toronto R/C used the same park for many years, till the housing development encroached on it and got them booted.
They flew first on the South west corner near Middlefield, then when the houses got too close they moved over to the East side of the park over by McCowan.
Only at that location for about a year I think till more houses were built.)

A bit hard to see in the picture but the spring is soldered to the wheel collar. Ski angle is set by simply tightening the collar in the desired position.