US aviation authority clarifies model aircraft laws

Started by bfeist, June 30, 2014, 08:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

Ededge2002

Yes they don't want anyone playing with one of these.  $70k  wonder if its better than a gopro!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Papa

Here is some further information.

looks like they are trying to stop FPV out of sight flying.

http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/dtns-2266-business3-transparency3/

Sorry you have to wade through some other stuff first but it is worth waiting for.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

I was reffing the National off-road Triathlon Championships (X-Terra) today in Milton.  At the start of the swim a spectator sent up a Phantom Quad with a Go-pro on it.  It hovered about 15 feet above the 200 swimmers standing at the start line.  It was annoying and the racers ... and I,  could not hear the race instructions over the loudspeakers.  The thing sounded like an angry swarm of bees on an otherwise tranquil day.

After the start I talked to the Head Referee from Winnipeg who is internationally ranked.  He said that earlier this year there was a significant problem in Australia where an errant Quad with a camera hit a cyclist during the road race and caused a significant accident.  There is a move afoot to ban them from international races.  I wonder who insured the quad-copter owner.  I am sure the Insurers will run for the hills.

Not a good omen for the quad hobby.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ededge2002

A lot of the "trouble" and bad press these machines are generating is just bad practice. Trouble with them is that they are so easy and fly so well that basic flight instruction and precautions are not even taught. As modelers we know not to fly over the pits or near persons or objects that these powerful machines could damage or injure.  The "new" fpv people do not have this instruction and they have little respect for the machine/toy(in there opinion) they are operating. Transport Canada HAS tabled legislation that WILL ban ALL beyond line of sight operations without a huge amount of work involved to get a permit. This is even impacting the commercial and world markets. Once this all goes through the people that have accidents will be open to charges and lawsuits if they are not abiding. A huge change is coming
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

Hi Ed, how will this impact your company or are you so commercial you are beyond amateur use?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"