Looking for powerplant recommendation

Started by Bobmic, April 08, 2015, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

So after a long time without touching my RC stuff I decided to add another plane to my collection, 2M Pilatus PC-6 that will end up around 12lb. The question is which motor battery combo to use. I am considering the rimfire 1.20 with 6S or a 1.60 size running 10S. I am aware of the benefit of lower current using the 10S system but I will need a new ESC as the CC I have can not handle 10s and in general it's less of a hustle to use one battery instead of two (and my telemetry will function normally...). Based on what I read weight is not an issue for this plane, nor is it a 3D plane but I do want aerobatic capabilities so I would like to get around 1800W or more, spinning a prop around 17x10 or so.
-If I go with 2 batteries I have to stay with 10S as I will not have good 8S combinations.
So, any suggestions ? Maybe other motor types (I know that hacker A60 and A50 can handle higher current but am not sure who has them and they are quit expensive )
Another question, if I use a lower current system with 10S is it correct to assume that I will not need the higher C rated batteries to get the same performance (let's say 25-50C vs 35-70C)?

Thank you
Bobby

Michael

2 meters is about 78½ inches.

I have flown 82" Piper Cubs on 4S and 5S batteries with E-Flight 46 motors, at low to mid throttle, but these planes weight 7 to 8 pounds.

A 12 pound high-wing model will probably fly OK on 6S, better with 8S.

Maybe an E-Flite 110 would be good.

Michael

Bobmic

Hi Michael,

My problem with 8S are batteries :) I have 5S 6S and only a couple good 4S which are used on the Deuce.

Bobby

Michael

Michael