The decline of IC engines- AZM swap meet results

Started by Frank v B, November 03, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

At the Zone Meeting Mini Swap Meet I brought three working IC engines to sell:
1) An old plain bearing OS .35 RC with muffler for $5.00,
2) an off brand plain bearing RC .46 with muffler for $7.00
3) an OS .46SF RC ball bearing engine with muffler for $10.00. 

Here is the surprise:
- the .35 sold immediately to a control line modeller because the main UC engine of the '60's and '70's was the .35.  No-one has flown RC with a .35 since the '70's.
- the off-brand .46 did not sell even though it was worth $125.00 new.  As recently as 10 years ago a used engine was worth half the new retail price.  Not even close at 1/20th the price!
- the OS .46 was $140 new and would have sold for $70 ten years ago, did not sell even though it was offered for $10.00

Lesson learned- a good used IC engine is worth less than lead and is good only as an anchor for floating course markers for RC sailboats!! :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Bigstik

Bigstik

Oscar

Film camera? What's that?  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Oscar,

.... so Andy is the one on the left? ;D

Frank

Frank v B

So I sold the two .46 motors to Eric's Adams' friend at the last Pilots Meeting for a grand total of....$15.00. 
I was mistaken.  Both were ball-bearing motors.  He was happy and prepared to pay more.  I was just happy the stuff was going to a good home where it would be appreciated.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Wow!  I'll bet we could raffle off Frank for at least $25 at the next fun fly - if we throw in a few of his vintage props!!   ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Andy

Re:"raffle off Frank for at least $25"

That's my total net worth!!

Frank

Skyking

Actually, I can.

Andy Hoffer

Okay. Here's a "Handy Offer":

$25 and an 8x10 glossy photo of Ken Ross!  ;D

Frank v B

Ken,

Don't negotiate with Andy.  You know that photo is going to be stuck in the bullseye of the dartboards at Colonel Mustards ;D*

Frank

* replacing the photos of me!