Full Size - Electric DHC-2 Beaver seaplane...

Started by RogMason, November 10, 2020, 05:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

A 12 minute glimpse of the future in Full Size, all electric aviation...

A Harbour Air de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver seaplane lifted off the Fraser River near Vancouver on 10 December, marking what the company says  was the first time an all-electric commercial passenger aircraft has taken flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_dnAD5TD-E&feature=youtu.be
'Roger That...'

Frank v B

Amazing video.  I am surprised they tried it on a floatplane first considering it takes so much more power to take off from water compared to land...plus the extra drag of the floats.

Notice the small flap setting at take-off.

I read a little further.  The original Beaver had a 450 hp Pratt & Whitney gas engine.  It was replaced by a 700 hp electric system, tuned down to about 450 hp.  The project manager must have been an E-modeler. "Always overpower an airplane.  You can always throttle back...if you have to!"   ;D ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Yumm!  Where can I get a kit for this?!!

This is the best video I have seen showing the fluid dynamics around the floats during taxi and take off.  The low lighting angle during take-off is superb.  You can see all the texture of the wing and control surfaces.  I love the shadow of the GoPro moving from aft to fore across the bottom of the wing at 5:45-6:00! 

Thanks so much for posting this @RogMason.

Andy