Spektrum NX10 Tx Update to 4.00A

Started by davidk, September 01, 2024, 04:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

Spektrum released firmware updates on July 18, 2024 which can be applied to Transmitters and Receivers.

The Tx Firmware Update is 4.00A.  This is billed as adding NX20 features to some lower radios.
The Rx Firmware Update, applied to specific Receivers (e.g. AR637TA, AR631), is 3.1.3.

I backed up my NX10 before updating using a microSD card, Sandisk Extreme 32Gb.  Using the Tx features, I exported all models to the microSD card.  Exporting 125 models took almost an hour.
I then copied the exported models to my PC and then formatted the microSD card.
I downloaded the NX10 4.00A Firmware Update from the SpektrumRC site, for my registered NX10.  Each update is tied specifically to Tx Serial #.
I copied the downloaded update, named SPMTX.SAX, to the microSD card.
I inserted the microSD into the NX10 and powered on the NX10.
Various progress bars were displayed and after about 3-4 minutes the update was complete.

One of the new features in 4.00A is that Spektrum has unlocked all 20 channels.  I have never used all 10 Channels in my NX10 so I've no idea what I would do with another 10, however, if you want them here's how to get them.
Another feature is Nose Wheel Stabilization.
And another is Hand Launch Assist.

Go to System Setup and scroll to Frame Rate.  In Frame Rate you'll see an item named XPLUS which is set to Inh (Inhibited).  Click on this item and it will change to Act.  If you now go to Channel Assign in the System Setup you'll see your 20 Channels.

The Rx Firmware Update is intriguing.  It adds AS3X+ features to an Rx.  AS3X+ is essentially better stabilization.  The intriguing part is that I can update my BNF Viper 90 AR637TA Rx to an AR637TA+ Rx.  Going through this process essentially UNLOCKS the Rx.  After the update I can control how I want AS3X+ applied.  I can download AS3X+ versions of the Receiver Preset File and Transmitter STM (Smart Transmitter File).  There are only a few of these files available for existing BNF planes and the Viper 90 is one of them.  Apparently more will be added.

I was brave enough to do the update the Tx... we'll see how it is this week.  I'm not yet brave enough to update the AR637TA in my Viper 90... we'll see.

UPDATE:  Monday Sept 3, 2024 : I had 9 flights today, 2 prop planes, 1 jet, 3 flights each and found no issues.

Knightlite

That's great news. I will have to keep my eyes out for a used transmitter. 10 channels can run out when you need flaperons, buzzers, arm, tailerons, pan, tilt, lights, speed brakes...

Can you please check if they have added support for dual receivers? Some of the new transmitters can talk to two 6 channel receivers instead of shelling out the big bucks for a 12 channel.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on September 01, 2024, 04:50:24 PMExporting 125 models took almost an hour.

You have 125 models?!!!

Can you actually fly planes with the new Firmware ?!!!

Andy  ;D