Receiver distance testing

Started by sts41, January 19, 2013, 11:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sts41

I know a lot of you don't use the Futaba FASST system...But I will post these results anyway, may help with someones decision making.

I added a TM-8 module to my Futaba 9C transmitter. My plan is to use FASST for anything I can...and the things I can't I will use the DM-8 module which is the Spektrum DSM2 module...So basically all my Planes will be FASST and my Blade mCPx v2 is the only thing I have that will require the DM-8.

With the TM-8, I received a Futaba R6008HS (Normal price $140) receiver... My plan is to put this in the Cub.

For my other three planes, I got FRSky FASST compatible receivers.
For the Eflight Yak 54 I have a TFR8 ($38) and for the Syncro and mini P51, I got TFR6 ($22)

So first, I wanted to know if there was any real difference between the operation range on these...

I tried them at reduced power in the house...receivers were at one end of the house in the basement, and Transmitter was as far away as I can get on the second floor...and all three continued to work with no issues. I needed to take this outside.

So with the 3 receivers in the house and all powered up and bound to the transmitter, and the servo test mode running...I got in the truck with the transmitter and started driving...Wife was monitoring the situation at the house and we were using the Walkie-Talkies to communicate. Test was to drive away until all three lost connection, and record the order, and then turn around and see in what order they reconnected.

So...The results:

Best overall was the TFR8, with the R6008HS in second and the TFR6 in third. I was at least 1 kilometer away and the signal was passing through the metal truck and my metal door and house framing and was still working. The important info is that all three stopped working within .1klm of each other... So any of the three would be good candidates for any of my planes.

None of the receivers jittered even when I got right close to them with the transmitter, and the servos moved smoothly on all three receivers.

There is always that thought in the back of our heads that says the HK stuff cannot be as good as the Futaba stuff... I did not do any endurance testing, or open the cases to see which one has better solder joints... But the way I fly... I am sure that will get tested soon enough  ;D

Steve

Ededge2002

Thanks for posting your results. I too want to jump to FAST as it comes recommended in the high carbon airframes.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?