Painting EPO foam

Started by Bigstik, December 13, 2013, 06:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

What is the best paint to use on EPO foam, ie Multiplex Mentor, EZ Glider etc?

Bigstik
Bigstik

wollins

Hey Al, what works best for me are the Testors enamel paint and Tamiya acrylic paint, if you do want to paint FOAM directly. You can also use "Krylon Short Cuts- Hobby/Craft Enamel.  However, if you don't want to use these "special" paints, (read pricey!) and if you have some WBPU lying around, you can just paint the plane first with WBPU and then paint it with whatever paint you like without fear of the paint eating away the foam.  Make sure that you cover every bit of the plane with the WBPU first though!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Papa

Hi Al, My Mentor is painted in Krylon Plastic Outdoor Paint. I buy in WalMart. I wash the foam in soapy water in case there is any mold release. I also paint all the pieces before I assemble them. I don't touch anything for about a week after painting to allow it to properly cure all the way though.

It's meant to look like Harrison Ford's Beaver.

Jack.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Wait a minute. Harrison Ford has a Beaver?
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

pmackenzie

He does.

A man who knows how to spend his money  :)

HARRISON FORD: Just Another Pilot

sihinch

Great little film Jack. Thanks for posting.

Bigstik

Hard to follow the threads, from paint to use on EPO foam to Harrison Ford. A hell of a jump.

Bigstik
Bigstik

sihinch

That's the warped an esoteric minds of modellers for you!

Bigstik

Is the Krylon paint usable on depron foam as well?

Bigstik
Bigstik

wollins

Never tried depron so dunno
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Papa

Yes but you need to wash it well. Also use 600grit to give it a tooth.
Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Bigstik

Bigstik

Wingnutz

Pat,
Thanks for posting the Harrison video...enjoyed it immensely...I don't often watch YouTube stuff twice...this one I did...love the DH logo with the Mozzie silhouette...
Jack,
New respect for your Mentor knowing the colour scheme is based on a real aircraft!
Al,
Home Depot individually mixed paints ($5 for a bottle that's gotta be close to a pint...not an oz like the pricey stuff) will work on damn nearly anything but it's flat. I buy touch up bottles for many of my pre-painted ARFs ...elapor, z-foam, depron, EPO, EPS...it works! Take a sample...they'll match it! They do look at you a little strangely when your sample is a tail plane or a rudder or... the whole model!
Good luck! Have fun painting!
P.S.  The DH88 (Rudolph the Red-nosed Comet...my avatar model) has a red nose painted with Home Depot Snowbird red!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!