Here's a bunch of questions that are causing me a headache!

Started by Papa, November 08, 2013, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

The attached schematic is a system for a model I'm contemplating as an complete scratch build including my own drawing.

The model has retractable floats. In order for them to retract the float rotates 90 degrees first. I plan on using a door opener servo for the rotation and a regular retract servo for the retraction function.
I want to steer using alternate EDf's.

Question 1:
Does the ESC take power from the receiver for the signal processing or from the main power battery?

Question 2:
What leads on the ESC or ESC's need to be disabled?

Question 3:
How would I connect the ESC's to have the steering capability?

Question 4:
What channels and or switches would I use to have the rotation activate before retract and the reverse coming down?

Question 5:
Can I do this with either of my two Transmitters or do I need something more?

Thanks in advance for your help.

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Pull the red wires from the esc connectors.  The esc can power its own functions. 

One action of the float could be paired so that you should have enough channels. If you use the futaba radio I can help with programing the remainder. Does it have end points for all channels?  Question use a #4 three position switch.

Is this going to be a "james bond" type vehicle?  Seems like an interesting undertaking.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

I understand about the red wires but do you also need the black or just the signal lead?

It's a 1947 Warbird.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Tom M.

Jack, does this model absolutely need differential thrust for steering?- I see a rudder channel on your schematic. I'll do a search tomorrow if so- it's certainly possible. Would "twist and turn" retracts work for the floats (I've got both pneumatic and electric (free and cheap respectively)) from my Corsair). A picture of the airplane?
  Tom

Ededge2002

Black wires and signal. There's no "signal" without a ground.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

A water rudder is not an option.

Here is the prototype.

jack
A motto to live by:

Papa

A motto to live by:

Tom M.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=44

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854459

The mixes to get differential thrust via rudder are described- 7 channels are apparently enough. I searched "rc electric differential thrust" - there are more discussions of the topic.
Tom

Papa

Thank you Tom.

That should work fine, No more headaches. Will try and get time to set up a test rig and see how the mixes work.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Tom M.

Wingnutz

Wow! Another really interesting plane to model! Great choice Jack!
Looks like there are some challenges in the build but with Higgins stubbornness and great help I'm sure you're up to it!
Keep us posted! I'm looking forward to your build.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hey Jack,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to offer any input so far as I've been busy at work (the place I usually find time for the odd TEMAC post).  One thought though... well two.  First is...THAT is an awesome plane, and second, I wonder how effective the variable thrust water steering will be with the thrust lines so close together.  I would build in a back up plan for some sort of, say, clear rudder, or something like that.  The variable thrust can still be tried, with very little effort, first.

Papa

The thrust line is offset away from the fuselage by about 5 - 7 degrees which might help but your right. OH well time will tell.

Jack.
A motto to live by: