2013-67 TEMAC Tickler, Scratch Building, Team Racing, Dues!

Started by Papa, November 10, 2013, 11:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Wow!  That plane looks GREAT, Frank.  Congratulations!  Well done!

I just want to point out that although those tools that Jack shows are really nice to have and help to make the building process more fun, they're not REQUIRED for model building.  A very nice building job can me done with a single edge razor blades, a couple of pieces of pine with sand paper wrapped around them, a manual scroll saw and a hand drill.  I even covered my first few models with my mother clothes iron!    ;D

Wingnutz

Nice job Frank...you've inspired me again! I'll bring mine on Wednesday but it's not done yet.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Andy Hoffer

Always nice to see projects mid-stream, as well as completed.

Andy

Frank v B

Thanks for the compliments Bill and Rob.  Thanks to Jack for the swift kick in the ass I needed to get it finished.

Note: Used a neat trick for the first time* on the windows.  Clear Monokote.  It is sealed over the opening with about a 1/8" overlap and heat sealed on.  All the side windows only took 10 minutes and are applied from the outside.  No messy glues, finger prints on the plastic and expensive canopy glue.  Worked remarkably well.  The windshield did not go that well but good enough to leave and fly it.

Rob, I am with you on the tools.  Have split the presentation into 1) Basic tools (surprising how basic they are.  Always start at the dollar store), 2) If you have some more money and 3) if you have money left over.

Remember, money spent on tools takes away from money available for another plane**.  8)  You can't make tools fly.

Frank

* A Bramalea member showed us about 15 years ago on an elaborate segmented bomber window , but I never tried it.
** a good collection of airplanes is always at least one short.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

"   You can't make tools fly.

Frank"
Interesting challenge! If pizza boxes and beer cases can fly, surely tools can too! Think I'd start with a screwdriver rather than a band saw! :)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

battlestu

Frank thanks for the tips last night they are going to come in handy this winter (which has started early)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"