Birdie 10- mini pattern plane... finished!!

Started by Frank v B, June 10, 2014, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Finished my scratch-built Birdie 10, the smaller brother of '70's pattern plane called the Dirty Birdie (60 size) by Joe Bridie.
48" span, converted to tail dragger from a trike gear design and tail feathers modified.  27 oz flying weight, 3 cells, E-Flite in runner Series 6 2700 KV with a 6x4 prop, approx 30 amps (330 watts), 40 amp ESC.  It can be propped to 400 watts.  Current set-up is 195 watts per pound*.  Will try to maiden it next Saturday afternoon.

Frank

* I can hear Ededge yawning already.  To him 195 watts per pound is called "idling"    ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ededge2002

Correction Frank 200w/lb is for landing.

Nice job on the model. Nice lines and I had several of the birdi designs back in the day.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Frank v B

"Correction Frank 200w/lb is for landing."

I'll re-prop it immediately to get over 200 watts/lb.  I don't want to come across as a wimp.* :D

Frank

* over to you Andy

Ededge2002

Please Frank if I could ask you to drop the "e"  .   its Birdi.   

you bird brain e

Frank v B

Dear Teacher,

re: Please Frank if I could ask you to drop the "e"  .   its Birdi.   

I have the plans in front of me.  In the bottom left hand corner it says "Birdie Ten  Designed by Bob McVickar; plans and Instructions: Bob and Todd McVickar".  It is from Global Quality* Kits.

Will add a photo tomorrow.

Franke
( 8) )

* poor quality.  Built the original kit.  Had to replace about 30 percent of the wood.  Sheeting the wing's leading edges in lead would have been lighter. :D

Ededge2002

Wow .  I repent (or what ever) to you oh so knowledgeable one.  It LOOKED so retro classic pattern I didn't figure I could be mistaken...  I see how that worked out for me.

sihinch

Frank v B

Tried to maiden the Birdie 10 last Saturday after the Apprentice retrieval party.  When I connected the battery to the ESC there was a bright light and a puff of white smoke.  ???   In my maiden check list these symptoms are not good.  Disconnected the battery and put the plane away.

Did not want to push my luck

Frank

Ededge2002

Quote from: Frank v B on June 17, 2014, 08:27:48 PM
  When I connected the battery to the ESC there was a bright light and a puff of white smoke.  ??? 

Frank

Was there a bunny?  It could have been a magic trick...   
Sorry for your luck Frank but at least it didn't happen at 100m!!!!

Frank v B

It flew!!

Flew it at TEMAC Wednesday evening.  It takes off great and flies fine.  Not fully trimmed out yet but it has more than enough power.  Takes off at half throttle.*

Frank

* I can hear Ededge's sigh already.  It should take off at quarter throttle!

sihinch

I saw this and it was awesome! Very quick. And it sounded superb.

Nice one Frank