FPV general information

Started by Michael, February 02, 2015, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I've started this thread so we can share information, based on our experiences, on FPV (First Person View) model flying.

I'll start with a minor, but crucial for some, bit of help for the Vapor FPV and 'Fat Shark' goggles.

These goggles cannot be used with glasses (for us near-sighted nerds), but will work if one wears contact lenses. I tried contacts last night, and it was uncomfortable; flyable, but uncomfortable. There is a product available (an E-Flite or Spektrum product; I can't remember the part number - I'll post it tomorrow) that has 3 sets of corrective-vision lenses that slide onto the goggles-headset.

I tried these tonight, and found one pair that really 'cleared things up', and I'm happy to say, that they work great.
Michael

Bigstik

Thanks for the heads up Michael.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Michael

Michael

sihinch

So this is a little overdue, but here is my current FPV set-up.....

I took a $69 Quad and added the Horizon micro camera and Tx, with a little balsa frame for the 1S lipo.  I then used HobbyKing Quanum DIY goggles with a modified magnifying glass lens in a balsa frame, some old ski goggles and a Sky Zone RC832 Rx to make a version of much more expensive FPV goggles!  Mine cost $29+$8+$50 = $87 !  It's a little clunky, but it works!  And it allowed me to try FPV before spending $400+ on more expensive goggles.

And hey presto, an FPV quad!

I'm really happy with the picture in the goggles, but the range of the Tx is not that great.  The hardest thing to get used to when flying with this is no depth perception.  Now, some of you may say that I never had any (some trees may testify to that also) but this equipment makes it even worse!

Great fun though. I can't wait to try it outside.  I've now got a 7" screen on order ($50) to try flying without goggles, and to allow others to experience an FPV flight at the same time as me.