Crashes - I knew it !!!

Started by Michael, July 09, 2015, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I had some close calls in the last while with some planes as I flew low. I crashed 2 balsa-built planes as I flew far away and low. I lost control of a powered glider for about 5 seconds as I flew about 600 feet high.

I tried to tell myself that the 2 crashes were my fault and that they stalled, but I just couldn't come to terms with that.

Today I got an email from Horizon Hobby that there is a range problem with my radio, and I need to send it back for repair.

>:( >:( >:( >:(
Michael

Michael

The problem is with the DX18 generation 2.

1st generation is not a problem.

Michael

sihinch

Well I do hope they compensate you for your crashed models.

Sorry Michael.

piker

As aggravating as that is, I guess it's good to know what was causing the crashes.   

Michael

Quote from: piker on July 10, 2015, 10:53:54 AM
As aggravating as that is, I guess it's good to know what was causing the crashes.

Correct! I agree.

I spoke to Horizon, and they didn't deny anything. They asked me to send them the radio, and vaguely suggested that they will try to fix the situation.

I'm packing the transmitter now. I still have my older JR 2.4G transmitter to use in the meantime.
Michael

Papa

I can't find anything on their website?

I guess you have to have registered one to get information.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Quote from: Papa on July 10, 2015, 11:38:36 AM
I can't find anything on their website?

I guess you have to have registered one to get information.

Jack.

I registered my transmitter with them when I downloaded a software update.
Michael

bfeist

All the switches are "crash switches". It's a feature!

Ededge2002

Sorry for your losses Michael

Quite possibly its time for you to consider leaving Skeptrum alone.  Ive been flying "Fasst" for several years and don't know of any situations that I can blame on radio troubles.  The recalls with the Spectrum line has been all over the place from the beginning and its a worrisome thought to have all those hours invested and the money to go along with it riding on such a system.  I know jumping ship will be expensive I had to do it once but there are some very good options out there these days.  Even the new JR stuff ive heard good things about.  Others like Fr-Sky(Ben?) and Airtronics(Colin) also have a great reputation for solid systems without any of the recalls of the Spectrum line.

Just as a side note in my work systems we use Futaba Fasst and I have flown very frequently to 1.6km range with high power video transmitters and telemetry systems on board without issue.  In all the operations ive had in the field and in testing for a year solid not one notable situation of radio troubles.  That is something to say about the reliability.  Again sorry you had to find out the hard way.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

Great to hear from you @Ededge2002   The FrSKY stuff I use has been rock solid from the start. Not one incident. That said, it's a module system that I have in my 9C, so it lacks the benefits of an integrated system such as Fasst (Unable to select wrong model in TX, etc). It would be interesting to see a 3rd party analysis of incidents across radio systems. Anecdotes don't help much in these situations when you're trying to select a reliable platform.

Michael

Horizon Hobby has made a respectable and fair deal with to help make up for the problems I had regarding the radio issue. Under the circumstances, I am satisfied.

I received my transmitter and it is working very well; I'm happy to have it back.

You'll see me continue using my Spektrum transmitter, as well as my E-Flite and Hangar 9 models, and some new ones too!  ;D

I still recommend their products, and I still specifically recommend the Apprentice as a trainer for new pilots.

I will also rebuild my DC3 and my 1/5-scale Super Cub. They'll be flying next season.
Michael

piker

Quote from: Michael on August 05, 2015, 01:59:49 PM
I will also rebuild my DC3 and my 1/5-scale Super Cub. They'll be flying next season.

Of course you will.  As a builder, you have the skills and motivation to rebuild.  We look forward to seeing both beautiful models back in the air next spring.