HK Sky Mule

Started by Bigstik, June 07, 2015, 02:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

;DMaidened my HK Sky Mule. Twin motor on 3S 2200 mAh lipo. Had two more flights. Flies great, beautiful day at the HMA field.
Bigstik

sihinch

How sturdy is the undercarriage on the wing? I've often looked at the sky mule but thought the long legs of the main wheels could be a weak spot - creating a large moment arm on the legs.

Bigstik

So far so good, altho it has only three flights. Our filed is typical, ie grass and 'the long legs' was a non issue.

All I need now is a set of floats for it!
Bigstik

Oscar

Hi John

There is a 3rd party tool that convert SkyMule to float plane.  Check it out.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_50&products_id=706

Bigstik

Just checked it out. Prefer to add floats rather than convert to an amphibious hull, but thanks all the same.
Bigstik

Condor13

I find my Mule underpowered. I am using two bladed 10 x 8 props. The original 3 bladed broke when the whole nacelle fell off. I am thinking of using a four cell battery to get more power.

Also the front wheel collapsed while landing on grass, so I have fitted one with thicker (1/8") wire.

John

Oscar

I am joining the skymule crew.  For the CG I found I have to move the battery pass the battery bay. I am using 3S 4000 30C.

Oscar

I maiden it today.  I replaced the ESC to TURNIGY Plush 40amp.  The prop replaced with Master Airscrew propeller 10x7 (one for regular, the other is a pusher - purpose for counter rotation).  With 4000mah 3S setup, I didn't feel underpower.   On my second flight, I was cruising with 1/2 throttle for 8 1/2 minutes.   Landing is very slow and scale. 

Overall, I really like this plane. It's a keeper.  Thank you John for recommending this plane.  :D

Oscar

This morning is quite windy (I think it's even more windy than a typical student night).  I took the SkyMule out.  This plane has lots of power and very stable.  It's as stable as the Apprentice (or better).  Originally, I was thinking to convert to seaplane.  Now, I think this is more fun for FPV plane.

Oscar