anyone flying Sun. July 16, 2017

Started by Frank v B, July 14, 2017, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The weather forecast was so wrong for today.  It was supposed to pour several times during the day and there only were two drops on my windshield all day.  Maybe they will be wrong again on Sunday.  They have called for rain.
Here is to thumbing our noses at the weather forecast(er).   :D
I will be flying 10am- 1 pm on Sunday.  9:30 for a caffeine top-up at Tim's Woodbine before heading to the field.  I will be there unless it is absolutely pouring at 8:30 am before I leave the house. 
Here is to hoping Andy can ruin my day by showing up. 8)

Desperately needing stick time.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

In the spirit of the Toronto Honda Indy race Sunday, I will bring my Nooner.

We're supposed to fly pylon races in ovals but the way I fly it looks like  a street course. ;D

Frank

bweaver

No you won't be flying alone Frank.  I will be out around 10 too. 

In the spirit of the times I will bring out a plane for COMBAT - Where is yours Frank?
::)

Frank v B

Am on my way, especially if Bruce is planning to be there to abuse me. :)  A few drops for 5 minutes that's all so far.

No combat wing yet.  You have a reprieve.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Frank

Frank v B

Beautiful flying day until about 11:30 when the heavens opened up. :(

Flew my small Mustang 480, the souped up GWS DC-3 (twin brushless on 3 cells) from the old Hinchcliffe/Cadez hanger and then the parade of biplanes with Oscar's Yellow Waco, Jim Spence with his hyperbipe and my Skywriter.

Then Bruce decided to plant his 100 or so inch power glider among the corn on the south side of the field.  We spent about 30 minutes looking for it. Oscar even tried to find it with his on-board camera.  Then Bruce just about tripped over it on his way in from the rain.

Bruce also learned that the "plane-finder" locator beacon works best when it is installed in an airplane.  Right now it can only locate his work desk. :)

Andy, we have to tell Bruce to crash where we have been planting our planes to the east of the runway, halfway to the clump of trees.  It is much more efficient that way. 8)

The corn is getting about waist-high.  Any crashes from now on are going to be a challenge to find.

Frank

bweaver

Re - "The corn is getting about waist-high.  Any crashes from now on are going to be a challenge to find."

Well let me tell you any crash now is a challenge to find. 

I am glad that I bought HK out of their 'lost signal airplane locators' for the morning crew and myself.  As Frank mentioned, these devices work best when installed in the plane.  Reason why I didn't have my device in this plane was because I thought if I installed it, I would be tempting fate.  I will be tempting fate from now on. 

Another way I do not tempt fate is to say "I'm going to have just one more flight."

Thanks to Frank for walking around out in the corn with me, and to Jim and Oscar for packing my car and closing the sunroof while I was out for a walk in the corn field.  I wished the rain had held off, because I would have had less mud on my sandals.  :-\

BTW Oscar wanted to know what these devices are
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-3-in-1-battery-monitor-signal-loss-and-lost-airplane-alarm.html?___store=en_us
Banggood now has something similar.  https://www.banggood.com/search/lost-signal-low-voltage.html

BJROB

Hi Bruce
Those locators sound very interesting
I want to order a couple
What method did you use to ship your order?
and how long did it take?
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

BJ, I would give Banggood a try because the price quoted is Canadian and I believe they don't charge for shipping.

I bought my order from Hobby King in USD and paid express air.    It worked out to $7.60 each Canadian.   Received them in two weeks at the most. That's about another foot or more of corn.