Flying! (and general off topic discussion)

Started by Ededge2002, December 14, 2011, 02:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

Just wanted to thank the weather man!

snuck out and did some flying this afternoon.  Its December 14th and I flew four flights without gloves!

Keep up the good work.  It was raining at the end of the last flight but I can totaly put up with that.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Nice!

I was thinking of taking a small plane to the park when I got home from doing some errands today. But then the rain came.

If this keeps up, maybe we should consider a Christmas Funfly @ TEMAC.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

Quote from: thehaze on December 14, 2011, 03:53:32 PM
If this keeps up, maybe we should consider a Christmas Funfly @ TEMAC.

How about it Jack - get something set-up annually?  Come whatever weather - kinda like the Polar Bear dip?  ;)

Ededge2002

As someone that flys outdoors all season you can count me in on any winter flying activities!   One of the great things about flying electrics IS winter flying!

For those of you not familiar with glow flying in the winter here are a few of the pains with it...

Starting glow motors can be a bit tough in the cold and can take more time.  (as if you werent freezing your b@77S off already)

The fuel you WILL spill on your hands evaporates FASTER than water and thus provides an additional cooling affect  (NICE!)

Tuning a motor that was run in the summer can take some time in the prop blast to get just right... (yep more of that additional cooling affect)

Sure you have to keep the batteries warm...     

oh and you dont have frozen nitro goo all over your plane when you go home!!!

sihinch

So Ed, just to be clear, you quite like Electric flying? ;D

Ededge2002

Quote from: sihinch on December 16, 2011, 09:06:09 AM

Nope. I only fly electric airplanes to get into the club. I'm realy only there for the vitamin D!

sihinch

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on December 16, 2011, 09:06:09 AM

I myself dislike it intensely ... but it's the only type of flying I know so I guess I'll keep doing it.  :( ;) I always look in envy at the videos of the guys starting their slimers ... it gives them such a good workout ... call it a 5 minute warm up if you will.  ;D    And then there's all that fine tuning after etc ... gets you nice and prepared for the flight ahead.  ::)   ;)

Colin   
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Ededge2002

Quote from: sihinch on December 17, 2011, 10:19:00 AM
Vitamin D is over-rated! :D

Well damn it!  If that is true ive ben flying all these years trying to improve just to hang out with you guys?  I think they have a parade for that in the summer...

Ededge2002

On another note looks like the NTSB is investagating Santa for all that "milk" he has been drinking!

Ededge2002

December 22 and 4 degrees!!  No chance to fly yet today but might try to sneek out...   

Any more talk of a winter funfly?  If the weather is as good as it is right now I might try to use up the last day of my MAAC membership on the afternoon of Dec 31!  I have to work till noon but after that might be TEMAC bound!!  I imagine the driveway will be wet but has anyone been down it to see its condition?

eric

Ken Coleman and I flew both Monday and Tuesday for a few hours each day. Light winds and not too cold; I didn't even use my transmitter bag, just a light pair of gloves with holes cut in the thumbs to give solid contact with the sticks.

There is only one spot, where the driveway ends at the field, where there is a bit of mud. When we were there you could skirt around it, but it may be soupier now after Wednesday's rain. As is usual this time of year, caution needs to be exercised to avoid any field damage, but the weather is just too good to resist getting out there.

Eric

Ededge2002

Ededge2002

Well mr weather man. This isn't what I ordered but you did great up till now.
So there is a funfly on the first?  Hmm I should bring the rv as a shelter!!  The roof is tarped but I could just drive real slow lol

Papa

If you do can you make hot chocolate for 20 or so and bring a portable fire pit for warmth???

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"