BUSA Dr-1 1/4 Scale

Started by Gregor77, August 13, 2012, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, I completed my First Major Build a Bristol M1C... Just waiting for some decals.   Amazing how much money you can dump into a $80 kit.  Anyways, it's done!

So, now I must move on to the reason I built this one....

The Fokker DR-1 from Balsa USA 1/4 scale.

I have been reading every forum and comment ever made on this build.   I know that the season is starting to wind down and I am assuming that I will be on this kit for the next 3 years.

So I thought that I would start a build thread...

Part 1)   Grabbed Box, dusted off and put on table.

OK, that was enough for today.

Ededge2002

lol don't get burned our trying to get too much at once
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

So is the next step studying the instructions for hours, on the loo????? Or is that just me?  ;D

Gregor77

I started already... I think a rebuilding a VW bug motor is easier... oh man!  ??? 

With the three wings it looks hard... But I started to clean the bench and get it ready.

piker

I may just build my BUSA SE5A along with you (but I doubt I'd be able to keep up).  I have the plans on the board, the wing tip profiles glued up, and all the wood sorted.  So I'm winning so far (will probably be the last time  :))

Trying to keep up with you would be very motivating.  When are you planning to have the DR1 finished?

BTW, I would want to build floats for the SE5a.  Floats like this: 

http://www.sarsfield.com/OriginalPages/orig_schneider2.html

Robert

Gregor77

Ok, you are on.... I will get the plans put on the bench and some fresh sheeting... It would be neat to have both going at the same time.  You have way more experience at this.. I only have two kits under my belt and one was done when I was 12 ish.  I just finished the bristol M1C. But last night was a no go until I figure out what is wrong with the radio.  :-[

piker

Fresh sheeting?  For what?  Are you building from scratch?

Thanks for the motivation and a bit of focus.  I've had this kit for several years and have been itching to get at it.

Robert

Gregor77

If you can make it for wings, let's start this weekend.    :P

Madman

Greg

One of the guys in our club (Keswick) has a 1/4 scale Flair Dr.I. He flies it on a 26cc gasser which turns a 20x6 at 5000 rpm. Just the right amount of power. As a comparison the 5320/34 AXI I had turns a 20x10 at 5300 on 30 NiMHs. My 5345/16 turns a 24x15 on 8S3P A123s with similar pitch speed (don't have all the numbers memorized).

Don't know if you have a motor for it or not yet.

Can we assume, based on your new tag line, that a Kemf (or was that Udet?) scheme is in the offing? Martin has been considering a Dr.I for some time. I can't for the life of me remember if he has started but I don't think so. I have quite a few reference books so if you want to 'scale it up' details and scale proportions wise. Also there was an amazing build on RCGroups under the scale electric forum. I think the guys handle is Hammered. He was working on a 1/6 Dr.I based on the AZM kit but way beyond scale. However, too much weight resulted in a poor test flight. Still lots of good info and motivational reading/viewing.

As an aside I just had more awesome service from AXI. Second time he has gone way beyond expectations or even (wouldn't it be nice if..) level of service. No more Chineese for me.

Stephen

bfeist

I want photographic evidence of your progress guys.

Gregor77

Ok, well I am starting this weekend.  I will start posting soon... Robert has a bit of a lead...   

piker

Bit of a lead?  Are you kidding?  I'm about an hour in.  You will make that up and pass that with your first sitting.

But, I did a bit of work last night.  It was 11:30 and I was planning to head upstairs to call it a night, but decided to take a quick look at the SE5a.  Before I knew it, it was after 12:00 and the spars and TE are down and the ribs are ready to go on...for one set of wings ie. lower left and right... the top wing and bottom wing are identical on this plane until hardpoints start going in.  I guess that makes thing easier, but a bit boring :-).

Ben, I will take a picture as a wing starts to grow on the building board.  Right now there's not much to look at besides the plans and some sticks.

Robert

Gregor77

I will need some help... I was on the looo as simon calls it and I don't understand some of the terminology that BUSA is using...

:o

piker

Like what?

Oh, and remind me to never touch your instruction manual  :P

Robert

Gregor77

Ok got through a few pages last night...  :P

It was funny and I measured the center mark from wing tip to wing tip and it's 1/8th off on one side?  This normal?  I had to redraw the side that was longer!