BUSA Dr-1 1/4 Scale

Started by Gregor77, August 13, 2012, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Oh, I missed that "using a torch" bit.  Hmmm... I've never used a torch except for soldering copper supply plumbing.  I would agree with Jack.  Keep the flame away from the joint. 

Gregor77

Had lots of time last night to work on the sub wing in the middle of the landing gear.  It went together well.

Gregor77

Just wanted to add some updated images.

Gregor77

I am taking Friday off to get the plane ready for covering.   I might do a few small pieces to start off with.

piker

Nice!  I'm glad it's still moving along.

What's the dealine?  Warbird day?  May 26?

Sounds a long way off, but there will be distractions for both of us with Spring flying season approaching fast...

Gregor77

That is kind of the target I had in mind.   Gordon and Michael are done their planes, so really it is us left.  I don't want to be last man standing.

Considering the fact that McCudden (SE5a) and Voss both (F1. Dr1) both fought with the same planes adds a bit of a cool factor!  But that happened in Sept 23, 1917.

After shooting down a No. 57 Squadron DH 4 bomber on 23 September, Voss went out on a further patrol and was engaged by six Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5s of the elite 56 Squadron. In one of the most remarkable encounters in aerial history, Voss fought a single-handed dogfight against several aces: Capt. James McCudden, Lt. Richard Maybery Lt. Geoffrey Hilton Bowman, Capt. Reginald Hoidge, Lt. Arthur Rhys Davids.[3] Keith Muspratt and Lt V.P. Cronyn, with Lt. Harold A. Hamersley and Lt. Robert L. Chidlaw-Roberts of 60 Squadron.[4] The dogfight developed over Poelkapelle. Another German ace, Carl Menckhoff, attempted to assist Voss but was downed by Rhys-Davids, (though surviving).[5] Voss fought the RFC aces for just 10 minutes, eluding them and achieving hits on nearly every S.E.5.[3]

Using the triplane's superior rate of climb and its ability to slip turn (using the rudder to turn quickly), Voss managed to evade his opponents. He was able to turn at high speeds and attack those behind him. After flying past McCudden in a head-on confrontation, however, Voss's Fokker was hit with bullets on the starboard side by Hoidge. One round pierced his right side and passed through his lungs. Nearing death, Voss did not see Rhys-Davids approach from the 6 o'clock position, directly behind his tail.

Rhys-Davids got below him and poured two drums of Lewis fire into the underside of the triplane, then attacked again with both guns. The Fokker fell away, stalled and crashed into the British line.[3] McCudden recalled: "I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments, for it seemed to me that it literally went into powder."[6]

Voss crashed near Plum Farm north of Frezenberg in Belgium. Only the rudder, cowling, and parts of the undercarriage were salvaged; the new type of aircraft was the subject of an intelligence report by 2nd Lieutenant G. Barfoot-Saunt.

The famous Fokker F.I of Voss during his last battle.
McCudden's S.E.5 plane during the dogfight when Voss was killed.One of the British pilots he fought that day, then-Captain James McCudden, a recipient of the Victoria Cross and who would become a leading English ace of the war, expressed sincere regret at Voss's death: "His flying was wonderful, his courage magnificent and in my opinion he was the bravest German airman whom it has been my privilege to see fight." Lieutenant Arthur Rhys-Davids, who himself would fall in combat just one month later, had said to McCudden, "If I could only have brought him down alive."[6][7]

Voss did much damage to B Flight of 56 Squadron; Muspratt force-landed at No. 1 Squadron's aerodrome with a bullet in his radiator. Mayberry's SE5 was hit in the upper right hand longeron and badly damaged, force landing at St Marie Cappel. Hamersley and Chidlaw-Roberts' SE5s were badly damaged, whereas Hamersley's machine was eventually sent to No.1 Air Depot for repair. Cronyn's airplane was also damaged, as related in a letter he wrote to his father:

" After Mess I went up to the hangar to have a look at my machine. It was a write-off and no mistake. The right lower longeron had a bullet hole through it, while the left lower was nearly cut in two, either by "Archie" or bullets, but there was only about a quarter of an inch thickness left in one place, while about 18 inches further along three bullets had cut right through. The main spars were shot through, and one of the ribs of the tailplane was fractured, by the only bullet he had got into me while on or nearly on my tail. There were also several other bullet holes in wings and fuselage. Besides these few details, the machine was all OK! It was a miracle he didn't hit me in the engine. As a matter of fact he got one in my prop. I went to bed as soon as I had a good look over the machine, but could hardly sleep a wink. I just lay in bed perspiring, though it was quite a cold night.

Just some history again!   

Why we build the planes we do!

piker

Cool. 

I hope to get the fuselage lacing applied tonight (if I can get a couple of free hours).  I've found the type of thread/string that I like (10lb hemp) that looked good enough on my trial piece.  I have it in beige, black, and dark brown.  I'll use the dark brown and probably brush some green paint over top for some colour blending.

Gregor77

Did lots last night and started covering some parts. Didn't like the way the upper deck sat. So had to fill it with light weight body filler. Noticed that drywall compound didn't bit well to the solartex.

Gregor77

Was not feeling to hot last night... really wanted to get some more done on the plane and go to the scratch building course.  But fell asleep from 6:30pm till 11:00 pm.   So in the one hour before hitting the sack again. I managed to cover the lower part of the lower wing.

Here is some more updated images with the tail and the sub wing covered.  I am using natural solartex as I needed some much to do this plane. 

So here is a question.  I was talking to Ron and he suggested looping the rear elevator cables to one cable that runs to the main elevator servo.  If the model is covered, how can I run the other part of the cable to the left outlet to the elevator?  I was thinking of attaching the end of the cable to the one end of a metal rod and pushing it into the right side of the fuse, then carefully push it through the left side.  Once through, get a rod with a hook and grab the wire and pull it into the front of the fuse.  At that point I can loop the cable and add the crimp.  :P   Sounds like a lot of work.  But after spending a huge amount of $$ on pull pull systems and cables.  I have to do it.

I also grabbed a Williams pilot that I will modify so that it looks like Voss.  But that is a whole new project.   I am still targeting the Warbirds event for mine to get painted and finished.

piker

That looks really good, Greg, but am I seeing that the sheeted sides of the fuselage, running from the back of the round cowl, meet with the slab, framed up, sides at an angle, creating an inside angle between the sheeted area and the framed area?  If so, that's going to be a problem covering unless you create a covering termination point for the flat side covering... know what I mean?

Also, are you using the Solatex as a base for painting the whole aircraft?

Re. the pull/pull wires, I'd feed through one side, through the servo arm holes, however you intend, then feed another thin wire through the opposite side (from the outside), tack glue the pull/pull wire end to end to the other wire, and carefully pull it through.  One question... how do you intend to fasten the pull/pull wire to the servo arm?

Anyway, I wouldn't, and won't do it that way.  I will have a separate wire per side, have a non-adjustable connection at the horns (as scale looking as I can... within reason) and use the metal clevis connection at the servo arm for tensioning and adjustment.

Robert

Gregor77

I hope you can see this Rob.  This is how Ron told me to do it. Rudder is simple...

Michael

Quote from: Gregor77 on March 19, 2013, 08:44:01 AM

Here is some more updated images with the tail and the sub wing covered. 

Wow, that looks good!
Michael

Gregor77

Thanks!

Here is an image of the natural Solartex on the lower wing.  Due to wing night I only had a chance to do one side.  I love the way the rib show...

piker

Very nice.  Is the "natural" lighter than the regular stuff, do you know?

Now that I'm bogged down with details on the SE5a (I'm working on the fuselage stitching currently) I miss the covering stage.  It went well, and was quite enjoyable.  Have fun!

Robert

Gregor77

My Werner voss decals came today from calli graphics. They are amazing. I can't wait to paint.