BUSA Dr-1 1/4 Scale

Started by Gregor77, August 13, 2012, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, I was not feeling to well last night, so I went back in the basement and almost finished the mid wing.  I just need to make the wing tips and sand the LE.  Then it is time to start the top wing, which seems to be more work with the alierons.     ::)

Gregor77

Hey what are you guys using for wood filler?  I have some wood filler, but it looks like drywall filler if I look online?  I have to make some area's flat and there is a bit of a wave to the wood.  I don't want to block sand the wood down.  I would rather fill the low spot and sand it flat.

battlestu

i use the super light pre-mixed poly filla...
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Gregor77

Great, I have some of that stuff at home.. I am not trying to re-form a wing.. So anything will be light enough as 90% will be sanded off.

Oh can't wait to get home and start sanding the L.E.   I do find this fun and stressfull at the same time.  Knowing if I sand too much I will mess it up!

Gregor77

Ok, finished the wing tips..  They seemed very weak and I might have to add some small supports to double them up.   Flying the DR-1 is a bit tricky and I don't want to ground loop and smash the wing tips..

I would have to say that I enjoy working with balsa. It is a very forgiving media.

Madman

Greg

How about your next project? We could build them together. How about a couple of planes from Jasta 5? I'm thinking Baumer's Edilweiss, Mai's crescent and star, or Fleisher's mailed fist or dragon.

Stephen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROCTOR-1917-ALBATROS-DVa-88-MUSEUM-QUALITY-R-C-MODEL-BIPE-KIT-AIRPLANE-/261105081077?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3ccb135af5

Gregor77

Wow... not at $400+++ at current bid! :o

Gregor77

I have been working hard on the top wing. Funny I added the leading edge Sheeting and the wing bandannas on me. I am now upset and have tried 10 things to get the 77" wing straight again.  I have now tried to steam it and add weight on the flat table.  Hitting it with heat also.

Ededge2002

I seem to remember something about soaking sheeting with ammonia weighting it down and letting it dry. I bet the smell would help you forget if anything!  I will try to find more information
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

battlestu

I used Windex and tape on the P-40. I would spray the under side with Windex, tape it in place, and let it dry over night.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

How the heck did you warp the wing while sheeting?  Did you glue the sheeting on while the wing was on the board or while holding in your hands?

Gregor77

I was used thick ca and pushing down on the wing and holding the sheeting I must have pushed to hard.    Two days of soaking in windex and heat gun.  The win is looking normal again.  I have put weights on the wing and let it sit for two days. Pain in the rear.  At least I framed up the Algerians.

piker

I'm glad to hear it's coming back into shape.  That would be a real drag if it was messed up for good.   :o

Robert

Gregor77

I was very frustrated with the wing warping on me... I checked this morning at 5 am and i's back to normal again after a heavy load of weight and windex applications.   

I got the alierions completed and framed up this weekend.  I have some sanding of the T.E and L.E of the control surfaces now. Then I can cap the top of the Alierions and final sand the shape.   Even when I get frustrated, I have to tell my self, Robert Quote, "It's the fun of the build".  I just want to get the framing done.. I have to keep slowing down.

I think once the top wing is done, the fun really starts.  The fuse.   

I have a feeling that the wing mounts are going to kill me.. They look difficult and I am scared to drill holes.  Guess I just have to keep measuring over and over again.

Working with woof is fun and at least if you make a mistake, no one will ever know.

Ededge2002

Yea my dog never tells anyone anything.... Glad you got the warping sorted out.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?