Phillips Speedtwin ST2 Scratch Build Blog.

Started by Papa, December 03, 2012, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Michael I forgot to re-size the shots. Won't happen again i hope.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Nice work. It's a lot of cutting to come up with those assembled parts but your producing a beauty. Can't wait to see it come together.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

pmackenzie

Quote from: Michael on December 04, 2012, 10:16:59 AM
Nice wing.

Suggestion to everyone: take and post smaller images.

FWIW, here is what Michael means. Same image as one of Jack's but ~50 K instead of 2400K

piker

Michael just doesn't want to wait an extra 3 seconds for the pictures to load.  He has building to do!

Papa

Here's another tip from the school of hard knocks. There is one advantage to aliphatic glues that is not generally promoted. That is the ability to undo a joint without damage. Say for instance you were scratch building a twin and despite much measuring and checking you discover that one fire wall is not in line with the other. If you used carpenter's glue and just covered it with a soaking piece of towel for a couple of hours you could just ease the joints apart with an Exacto knife. No damage at all. Much more difficult if it had been CA'ed or epoxied.

I have been trying Gorilla Glue's new white wood glue and it is very good. Extremely tacky and sets up in half the time.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Well it's getting late on Sunday night but I managed squeeze some building in. I was so impressed by the show and tell at the Christmas Party that I was full of enthusiasm and renewed determination to get it done.

I added the top formers and one side of the turtle deck. As usual I don't follow instructions too well. I should have wet the turtle back to help it form but it looked soft and bendy si I didn't and I got one small crack. I will push it down and add some thin CA so I should get away with it.

Here's the fuselage drying until tomorrow.

Jack.

A motto to live by:

piker

Lookin' good Jack.  Keep moving!

I've taken the past couple of night's off from building, but I must get back at it.........    tomorrow   :)

But, I did receive my order from BUSA containing the kit for the SE5a Lewis machine gun, a very cool scale prop nut, and the decal set.

Anyway, back to you, Jack.

Robert

Bobmic

Hey Jack - all I can say is WOW...wish I had the guts (and probably the time...) to start a project like this.
The only problem will be that my hands knees and everything in between will shake when I will be flying it.

Waiting to see it fly.

Robert - Who are you planning to shoot with your machine gun?
I think you need an airsoft machine gun synchronize with the prop.

Bobby

Michael

Very nice clean and precise work.

Impressive!

Michael

piker

Quote from: Bobmic on December 11, 2012, 07:51:57 PM

Robert - Who are you planning to shoot with your machine gun? 

Bobby

Simple.  Verner Voss aka Greg Cadez   ;D

Papa

Well when I left off the last time I had finished one side of the turtle deck with just a slight crack. I pushed the crack closed and CA'd it and it just disappeared. So for the other side I decided to use some water as suggested but I also used some softer balsa. It conformed nicely but as I watched it all buckled and twisted. I immediately wet the other side to relieve the stress. What I ended up with looked like a potato chip. The front half looked salvageable but the back half I replaced. You can see the bow in the front half in the picture. Anyway despite a couple of attempts with false formers but nothing worked. So I replaced it also. The second photo shows the result. I think with the covering I'll get away with it.

There is progress and I have the nose blocks started. I just placed the stab and fin for proportion and the Instructor and student were handy so they could check out their seats. I have decided to put the rudder and elevator servos in the fuselage just over the wing moving them from the tail. I have also decided to put the ESC's in the nacelles near the motors.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Some more work accomplished in between the annual cookie baking with my grand kids. I glued some scrap blocks on the nose and started to cut it down to shape. I tried to use a hand sander for a coarse finish to get it to size but couldn't hold the sander for long enough. Ended up using a block with some 50grit. Still took about 3 hours on and off to get it close. Will finish sanding when I have a canopy made.

I made a vacuum box some months ago but never used it so this will be the first attempt. I made a plug out of blue foam and have cover it with plaster for final shaping and sanding. I'm planning on coating it with acrylic varnish to give it a smooth finish. That's it in the background of the picture.

I also installed the servos so that will reduce some of the weight in the tail.

Jack.

A motto to live by:

Ededge2002

Looks good Jack. When can we expect your arf's to come out?  I'll take one.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Michael

piker

Hey Jack,

I was just looking back at the pictures of the plane at the beginning of your thread.  Those nacelles/cowls are very curvy.  It'll be nice to see them coming along.  I assume you'll be building them from balsa.  Are construction details shown on the plans or are you on your own when figuring out how to build them?

Robert