Strange problem with an ESC!

Started by Papa, January 06, 2013, 12:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I don't know what happened but I tested my power set up on the twin on a bench and all seemed to work correctly apart from having to reverse the Ch 3. I'm using an Orange Futaba Clone Rx. I set everything up in the wing prior to finally putting the upper wing cover on.

Anyway when I tested the set up both motors responded and one began to emit an error code. one motor ran but the one emitting the code would not. I had set up both ESC's with a wye harness and had disabled the positive lead from one ESC. Coincidentally the one now emitting the error code. I reattached the red lead and everything worked fine. I had previously used the set up with an OEM Futaba 7Ch RX.

Anyone know why the Orange Rx would be different. Oh the RX would not show green while the code was being emitted by the motor. Also the 'screech' from the motors was much louder than I had remembered the last time I used them

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

pmackenzie

What ESC? Do they have BECs?
It could have simply been a poor connection, and when you replaced the red wire and re-inserted the connector the underlying problem was also solved.

Pat MacKenzie

Papa

I think you hit it. I do recall the connectors were stiff and I'm now sure I just had a bad connector.
Both have BECS so should I still have only one power line to the Rx?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

pmackenzie

That's a controversial question  ;D

I think that as long as they are linear BECs then you can leave them connected, but if they are switching types I would not personally do it.

Pat MacKenzie

Papa

They are 25 amp Novatech but I cannot find any reference to linear or switch.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

pmackenzie

Looking at the manual you can infer that they are linear.
http://www.novatech-tw.com/products/products_list.php?cid=12&language=_eng
The more cells you run the fewer servos they recommend, that would not be the case with a switching BEC.

Most of the ones with switching BECs also include a toroid choke on the signal wire to filter out the switching noise.

Pat MacKenzie

Papa

A motto to live by: