Just an update with plans for this summer....

Started by sts41, January 08, 2013, 12:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sts41

Well I started work on all my planes and equipment...Hopefully wont run out of money before I get done  :P ...But no matter what, I will have planes to fly.  ;D

First I have 2 orders coming in from Hobby King with batteries and receivers for my newest flyer, an Eflight Yak 54. They look SOOOOO purdy before their first impact with the ground, don't they?  :-\

I have converted to Futaba FASST technology and all my planes will run either actual Futaba receivers (for the expensive planes) or FRSky clones for the less expensive. I got the replacement canopy for the P51 and I have a receiver coming for it and the Syncro, so those 2 will be back next year.

And, if I don't run out of money...The Cub will be in the air also. I was looking at cutting some corners, but decided not to...However, in my quest to save money, I came across a debate which I am not sure which way to go now.
Monokote or Ultracote....Seems that the general concensus is Monokote is better (Stronger)...But harder to install for a beginner (Shrinks less)...Anyone (or everyone  ;) ) have a comment?

As for the Nexstar, Not sure what I will do yet... If the Cub can't be completed this year, I may fix the Nexstar and have it as a big Balsa plane... I can wait until I get back to TO to make that decision... I may buy a Fuselage and fix and sell it...Just not sure if I would get enough for it.

I will continue to work on the Cub... Still lots I can do on it before I need the Motor.

Hope everyone is having a good winter... And I look forward to getting back to the field next year.

Attached Pics of my new plane.

Steve Sweeney

piker

Sounds like some good projects, Steve.  I too like that Yak 54.  Thought about getting one myself one day.

I personally have used nothing but Monokote for the past 34 years... until very recently when I tried Ultrakote... I think it is (unfortunately I can't be sure as I'm at work right now).  I'm in the process (I say that loosely as it's not actually happening right now) of recovering my CL-215 Water Bomber and remembered I have not been impressed with Monokote lately, particularily in white and yellow (the colour of my 215), so I'm trying something else.  The different stuff I'm using is a bit easier to work with and seems to cover well.

So, what I'm getting at is, I would lean towards Ultrakote... I think...   ;D

Robert

Andy Hoffer

I used to use Monokote until I discoverd Ultracote, which I find to be a superior product.  Ultracote has a great working temperature range, great shrink control and better toughness.  It can also be repositioned nicely when needed.

Good luck on your projects!

Andy Hoffer

thehaze

I'm guessing you're all in for some aerobatics this summer the Steve?

The Yak is a very capable plane. Lots of folks swear by them.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Gregor77