TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

I've been working on the little pieces for my Nooner. Deleted the rudder, made the elevator full span and started the install of dual aileron servos in the wing. Still lots to do and covering won't be here till late this week.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Are you following the same process as the build thread, Ed, or have you made any changes?

Ededge2002

As mine is the ARC version I'm doing some things the same but others different. In a gamble against drag I'm installing my aileron servos out in the wing.  Making the elevator full span I actually picked up from the manual I found on line after completing your model.  The fuse so far is the same.

battlestu

I've also started on my nooner this weekend.

For the painters out there; how would you tackle this fuse? I would like to use a yellow/light blue mix but don't want to add a ton of weight covering up the dark red.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

I would/will give the fuselage a light sand to rough up the surface, fill the seams, then lightly apply a coat of white primer.  Lightly sand to a glass smooth finish (600 wet sand) then add a thin layer of top colour paint until desired look is acheived.

Ededge2002

Finished installing the aileron servos into the wing.  4" in from root and 2" up from trailing edge.  Wires all soldered up and installed.  Glued wing halfs together and glassed center bottom.   Bought some 30minute epoxy to test it and it spreads nicer but man is it slow!!  Hope it will be dry before the first race!  There was a joint in the sheeting only a little out from the center on the bottom...  I extended the glass to cover it and the servo pockets as well.

Polecat

Quote from: piker on March 04, 2013, 11:21:12 AM
I would/will give the fuselage a light sand to rough up the surface, fill the seams, then lightly apply a coat of white primer.  Lightly sand to a glass smooth finish (600 wet sand) then add a thin layer of top colour paint until desired look is ache

Greg  Over the years of painting racers, yellow is the hardest colour to spray on and get a good covering even with a good coat of white primer. You will pickup alot of extra weight.
Try another colour maybe black, on a lite coat of primer.

Ken

Ededge2002

Ken it was nice to meet you at the swap meet. I'm happy to see you joining in on the Nooner racing. Is there a Nooner in your future?  Those EF1 planes did look great and I think I looked just a little too long at them... 

sihinch

I have a spare ARC Nooner available for purchase.......only $86!

piker

Quote from: sihinch on March 05, 2013, 09:18:09 AM

Wait!  You're supposed to save that for me... for when I crash!

Ededge2002

Ive finished all the bits and have started covering.  Yes it is Orange isnt it...  I imagined it would look ok but so far.....

Whats left?
Cover ailerons and elevator some trim,  Install elevator servo, linkages and remaining equipment

possibly fly saturday!

Polecat

Quote from: sihinch on March 05, 2013, 09:18:09 AM

Simon  Its a good idea to have a back-up pylon racer, as things happen when racing [mid-airs & bad air around the pylons].

Polecat

Quote from: Ededge2002 on March 05, 2013, 08:57:01 AM
Ken it was nice to meet you at the swap meet. I'm happy to see you joining in on the Nooner racing. Is there a Nooner in your future?  Those EF1 planes did look great and I think I looked just a little too long at them...

Ed Just keep looking at the F 1's, you won't damage your eyes, when you are ready, just give me shout, as I will have enough ARF parts here to put together a Dara or Shoestring.
As for the nooner, my plate is full with F 1's, sport flying, fishing and Honey-Do lists,also a trailer on Georgian Bay.
The nooner program will be great for the club and keeps everyone enthusiastic.

Ken

piker

Hey Ed!  I like the orange.  Add some black trim and it'll be saweet!  Like this:

Michael

I have 2 right elevator halves (I think it's number "16"); my kit is number 18.

Anyone have 2 left elevators?

Michael