TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Mine is all set up and ready to fly!

Only 150 watts though at 15A with a 5x5 prop.  Will have to get a bigger prop!  ;D

Polecat

Whats the cost of admission to the show!!!

Ededge2002

Your done Simon?  Wow you must have had a head start. Does this mean I can quit now?
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Ededge2002

I doubt I will make Saturday...  its been one if those times when you try to do something and EVERYTHING goes wrong.

In four hours I managed to:

Install a wing bolt..
Install two aileron horns
Make two push rods
swear about 1,000,000 times

Elevator servo not even started

Ededge2002

This old thing?  still need to add more covering to the tail but its done.

thehaze

Nice, yet another nooner that mine won't look anything like...
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

Hi Ken, the cost of admission is simple. Buy a Nooner from Icarus. They have an ARC and an ARF version. If you tell them it's part of the TEMAC buy they may give you a 10% discount. Ask anyway it can't do any harm.

Rules are posted on the web site as you come in under 'getting started'. You can build your own but the Nooner was designed for the class and is a good way to start. I expect some own designs for next year.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Well, I just got home after maidening my Nooner. For once Frank was right, this is an awesome flying aeroplane!

My trim was very off on the first flight, so that was a bit scary.  But once sorted if flew beautifully, it was a real pleasure. Very direct and precise and it slows down incredibly.  The landing speed was very tame, and I think I was still coming in quicker than I needed to.

Andy took some pictures, so give me half an hour and I will upload a few (after sending them to Jack for a TRN.)

Ed also maidened his - on our second flight we had a mini race. With his 200+ watts and my 150, the result was inevitable. Never mind piloting skill!

This will be a great race series!

And the field was busy! Jeff, Ronnie, Gerhard, Simon C, Greg C, Greg & Mike H, Andy, Michael, Robert, Ken Ross, Ed and me!

Ededge2002

First two flights on the books. Couple hints for the others...

Trim.  My and I think Simon's ailerons had quite a bit of twist to them. Leading to a couple of exciting seconds off the launch. Once dialed in though it quickly became comfortable in the air. Its quite a nice flyer and although I've only had two flights I found it easy to carve some turns. I heard some remarks from the peanut gallery "lower!" But I figured I was pushing quite hard on the new model and it showed no bad habits. I even flew it around low and slow a few laps and its speed range is quite good.

After Simon flew his I dialed back my throws. Before the second flight I adjusted them a little more. A couple asked for travel info and I measured them when I got home.

Elevator + - 6mm 20% expo
Aileron  + - 4mm 30% expo

These are a good starting point with a 2" cg

sihinch

Just a few shots to whet the appetite.  :D

sihinch

Caption contest.......

"Damn, after seeing Simon fly, I don't know how I'm going to beat him and that red racing Nooner!"

Ededge2002

That photo 325 is how low I usually fly.   As for the quote ...

" why did I do such a good job on his plane....  stupid stupid stupid"

Frank v B

re:  For once Frank was right, this is an awesome flying aeroplane!

Hey Simon,

There's a first time for everything.  My perfect record of being totally wrong has been shattered. ;D  Oh, well..... next time.  Sorry to disappoint.

Nice to see Ed's flying altitude (pic 325) is determined by the prop diameter.  Hey, Ed, if you go down to a 4.1x4.1 prop you can fly 1/2" lower... with a little practice.  Those poor worms sticking their heads up will be threatened.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ededge2002

Just an update to my personal recommendations for the ailerons. When I built Simon's Nooner I built it to have approximately + -10mm travel same as another plane I have and as no throws are given in the instructions.  First flight results showed that just 5mm is all that will be required. I offered to re do the geometry on the plane but still had a little more slop than with my dual aileron servos out in the wings set up did.   This has prompted me to re do the wings to be the same as mine. Straight linkages servos out in the wings.

If you are going with a single servo and torque rods for your own flight performance please make them solid and with no slop. 

sihinch

Hope my wing doesn't collapse with the "1000 G" that I will be pulling in the turns!

:P