Dad's Workbench...

Started by Wingnutz, February 26, 2013, 11:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sts41

I missed the part where you ordered the Turnigy motor...ran the numbers on it... and it too will be fine with the 6X3 prop, has about the same thrust as the 280.

Steve

Wingnutz

Thanks Steve. I don't have much of a background in electronics but with all the help available at TEMAC the learning has been fun and so far, no fires or crashes attributed to electrical problems...pilot error? That's another story!
I've bought a 6x4 pusher prop for the model...too coarse?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sts41

It should be OK, as long as you set your ESC to a slow start.
I like to be able to power back on fast... This prop may be a bit much for that.
We are not talking much here...3.5 is OK and 4 is over...So I would say you are probably ok with 4.

But test it with a Watt meter and check the heat.

Steve

Wingnutz

Thanks again Steve. I consider myself lucky to belong to a club which supports its membersthe way TEMAC  does...especially throught the website...thanks again Ben!
I'll look for a finer pitched pusher prop.

Wingnutz

Pub lunch became McDonad's breakfast this week...more progress on the Macchi and the motor and ESC have arrived. The wings and the motor platform are removable and the dummy motor has hand built pushrods and rockers which were exposed on the Isotta Franshini!

piker

The M-5 is looking so nice.  Love the engine details.

Robert

Wingnutz

Does anyone know where to get Red, White and Green roundel decals/stickers? Checked with Pinnacle and they don't know where to get them.

Wingnutz

Another pub lunch today...amazing how many problems get solved with beer!
No leads on where to buy Italian Red White and Green roundel decals, so Dad made one, took it to the local copy shop and had them reproduce it in various peel and stick sizes. You can see one of the small ones on the front of the fuse...the bigger ones will go on the wings.
I wired  up the motor and ESC and we tested all the electrics before starting to close the wing and route the wires along the supports for the motor and the upper wing. We haven't done a watts/amps test yet and we're expecting less than 10a on 3S...ESC is a 10 amper....Steve, is this enough? The photo without the upper wing makes it look a bit like an M-33.

Wingnutz

Missed posting the last two weeks...too busy drinking beer. The Macchi is almost finished...anyone know where we can find red/white/green roudels that are waterproof and not too heavy?
Wings/motor are held on with magnets and removable as a unit. We've installed the 6x4 pusher as I haven't found a 6x3 pusher.
Maiden some really calm evening at Rogo or a park with long grass! Once the maiden's out of the way we may bring it to a float fly. I've given the Crane back to Dad so he can finish the fuse...maybe Warbirds Day.

Wingnutz

Took Dad's Macchi M5 to the local park yesterday to see if it would taxi on the grass. Lawn tests had shown it stuck to the grass like it was glued. Enter silicon spray. Spray, one-third throttle and...YIKES! the Macchi has taken off! :o Rather than attempt to land we decided to keep on flying. Had to trim full down elevator and almost full L aileron, for hands off straight and level but the model flew happily at one-third throttle and handled the breeze without problems :) First landing was a learning experience as in glide mode, the tail feathers are definitely on low rates...pull elevator to flare and nothing happens. Keep the throttle on and the prop wash over the tail feathers keeps them on high rates and flaring works. Finally managed to get two close to perfect landings this morning.
Taking off on the second and third flights was another learning experience...plane was sluggish and turned right in the grass...only after the third flight did we discover the top of the lower wing was covered with dew drops from the wet grass...more on the right wing than the left.
We're getting closer to having the model trimmed to hands off flying and it's a pleasure to fly...and a tiny classic in appearance!

sihinch

That looks magnificent Bill.  Awesome craftsmanship and wonderful pictures.

Thanks so much for sharing.

battlestu

this was the plane Bill had with him last night!!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Woops, I see it did fly!  Congrats! guys!

Maybe we'll see it at the next float fly!????

Wingnutz

Quote from: battlestu on September 19, 2013, 11:42:43 AM
this was the plane Bill had with him last night!!
Greg,
It was the model we brought and tried to take off at TEMAC last night. By far the worst flight...only one where we've failed to use up a battery in flight. Back to the bench, repaired last night and big improvement this morning with no wind.

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on September 19, 2013, 02:45:46 PM
Woops, I see it did fly!  Congrats! guys!

Maybe we'll see it at the next float fly!????
Only if weather is perfect and the pilot logs the necessary hours to virtually ensure a perfect landing. Approach technique is different from any tractor propped model I've flown and I'm not yet consistent enough.