Scratch built depron micro Macchi 72 Schneider racer

Started by Michael, March 07, 2013, 09:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

This will be a semi-scale Macchi 72 Schneider Cup racer scratch built from depron and E-Flite micro floats, and the guts from an E-Flite micro Beast biplane.

I have no plans and will be basing the model on photos and what seems right at this size.

I'll be using my own personal judgement and experience to decide on a good balance of size, wingspan and wing-loading for what I hope will be the best compromise for a good flyer.

The photo shows the main components that will magically transform into a new model within a few weeks.
Michael

Michael

... and we're off !!!

Wing and fuselage sides are 1/8" foam, tail is 1/16", all with 'grain' lengthwise.

Wingspan is 18". Projected (hoped for) weight without floats is 2 ounces.

Michael

Michael

Wing sanded to undercambered airfoil, ailerons cut, basic fuselage construction started, motor mount fashioned, and floats assembled.
Michael

Papa

Jacques Schneider would be very impressed. Looks every bit a cup racer.

Well done.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

About 3+ hours for this little bit behind the cockpit.

Still a bit of sanding needed.
Michael

sihinch

Michael

Just so you know, Simon, that head-rest thingy that runs to the back of the fuselage, is made of 5 layers of different thickness foam, with the center layer left open at a specific point for the fin to be placed.

The layers were carefully epoxied together.

Then it was rough cut to shape, and then sanded to shape.

I will not be making kits.  ;D
Michael

piker

Looking good, Michael.

At this rate you could build every Schneider racer ever built, before the water turns soft again.

Wingnutz

Great project! Can't get over how quickly it's coming together! The floats in reply#2 look pretty neat...scratch built or RTF?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

Michael

Michael

More progress: fuselage top and pilot opening, cowl and spinner.

More sanding is needed but basic construction is done and it now looks like a Macchi 72.

Michael

piker

Well, I've seen it in person already, but I just wanted to state publicly that this plane is WAY COOL!  It really does look like a Schneider racer.  It'll look even better when all painted up fine!

Michael

Steady progress, a tiny bit by tiny bit.

Windshield frame cut and glued in; made a slightly larger than scale scale fin and rudder; receiver in place; tail linkages prepared.

About 2 hours work.
Michael

Michael

I worked on the ailerons last night, and started painting.

Motor for my Nooner has arrived, so I may work on that and give this a short rest.

... Or maybe, I'll work on both at the same time.  ;D
Michael

Gregor77

That is the spirite!

Just stop by the retirement home and offer some of the guys a chane to build your planes.  That is my secret!  lol!  Just kidding!