CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on February 03, 2014, 07:51:12 PM
Ditto!

You're building fast, Colin!

That's cause I can't wait to get to this!  ;D  I waited a YEAR to get this kit (their customer service is really bad) but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Quote from: electroflyer on February 04, 2014, 08:20:21 AM
   Hey Colin,
  Are you sure you haven't built one before? I wish my airplanes were that straight ;)

Well done!

Been a busy week this week but I got some time today so decided I'd tackle the stab next.  Check out the pics of my first attempt of attaching some formers to the leading edge. :o See Glen, prrof that I've never played with Balsa before!  ;D When Rob sees these pics I can see him cringing! lol! I'll have to break her down and start over. (I can just hear people thinking ..."is this the same guy who built that fuselage?"  ;D)

Colin

P.S. This is the reason the prospect of the wing scares the crap outta me!  >:( 
|
|
|

wollins

My second attempt turned out much better.  ;D Turns out I used the wrong sized wood for the LE. lol!

Question for you guys ...

Is there some trick to holding the piece in place/position for shaping /sanding these edges?  I'm trying to do it on/against the table but its a bit awkward ... so then I sorta brace it in my lap etc but that's not very stable.  I mean I'm getting the job done but there must be a more efficient way?

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

Do you have to do some sheeting at the leading edge?

If so wait until after sheeting and it will be much more stable.

I use a miniature plane set to shave a fine cut. It works very well
is quick and controllable and won't grab the wood when used with the grain.

The other alternative is to roughly preshape the L.E. before gluing.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

I just hold the piece to the table with one hand and shave/sand with the other.  With delicate structures like that you just have to be careful, and don't be surprised if you have to re glue the odd joint.  As mentioned in my text, I use the micro plane and use that to get very close to the final shape, then sand.  You can then admire your awesome leading edge and all the curly ribbons you made.

wollins

Quote from: piker on February 08, 2014, 01:44:53 PM
I just hold the piece to the table with one hand and shave/sand with the other. 

Thanks guys ... thought the was some cool trick to it.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

michaely

A piece of soft "upholstery" foam, about 3/4" thick, the width of the wing chord and a bit longer than the half span of a wing (assuming some dihedral) makes a pretty "grabby"  base, resting on the workbench, to hold a half span of a wing while shaping the leading edge.

One trick for another time is to beef up the wing structure prior to shaping the LE,  where there is going to leading edge sheeting, by gluing on a thin (3/32" -1/8") "inner" leading LE (easy to shape the edges of such a thin piece), then glue the LE sheeting to the spar, ribs and this inner LE; plane the LE sheeting excess that hangs over this inner LE; glue the 'outer' leading edge stock to this inner LE/LE sheeting, and you have a much more rigid wing structure to work on as you shape that outer leading edge.

Use a female cardboard template to ensure the LE you are shape is as uniform as possible across the span.

What are you using to shape the leading edge?

good luck,

michael

wollins

Quote from: michaely on February 08, 2014, 03:56:58 PM
A piece of soft "upholstery" foam, about 3/4" thick, the width of the wing chord and a bit longer than the half span of a wing (assuming some dihedral) makes a pretty "grabby"  base, resting on the workbench, to hold a half span of a wing while shaping the leading edge.

One trick for another time is to beef up the wing structure prior to shaping the LE,  where there is going to leading edge sheeting, by gluing on a thin (3/32" -1/8") "inner" leading LE (easy to shape the edges of such a thin piece), then glue the LE sheeting to the spar, ribs and this inner LE; plane the LE sheeting excess that hangs over this inner LE; glue the 'outer' leading edge stock to this inner LE/LE sheeting, and you have a much more rigid wing structure to work on as you shape that outer leading edge.

Use a female cardboard template to ensure the LE you are shape is as uniform as possible across the span.

What are you using to shape the leading edge?

good luck,

michael

Great tips there Michael, thanks!  I use a mini plane and sandpaper and I think in the end it worked out quite well.  I was just having some trouble stabilizing the work while shaping and sanding.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Ok guys, finally finished (roughly) the tail feathers, (well still have the winglets to do but that's fairly minor) and am quite pleased with the results. ;D Crap, did it take long though!  ::)  Take a look, she's starting to come together now!  Next up ... the winglets and the cockpit/hatch.

Thanks for your continued support and suggestions guys as we continue this journey!  :)

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

Great progress Colin. Looking good and straight.
Starting to look like a water bomber.
Resist the temptation to finish sand at this stage, just do all rough sanding.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

You must read minds Jack! I've been sorely tempted to do just that every time I finish a piece.  However I've only done enough rough sanding to make things "fit" cause I've decided that I have to finish the entire structure first ... then I'll do all the sanding at the same time.

As some might recall I had an overly ambitious goal to finish this by first week in March but based on what's left and the pace that I've managed so far I'm thinking that it'll take another six weeks or so. (March month end to be safe.)  Here's what's left to be done:

Finlets
Cockpit/hatch

Wing

Nacelles
Tip Floats

Fuse sheeting and Nose block/planking

Filling, sanding. glassing and painting fuse.

Covering wing and tail feathers
Component installation (wiring, motors, lighting system servos etc etc)

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

Most models take 2.5 times your original most generous time estimate.

I do read minds.  Seriously it's been there and made the same mistake.

Jack
A motto to live by:

piker

Quote from: Papa on February 09, 2014, 05:43:37 PM
Most models take 2.5 times your original most generous time estimate.

Jack

That's very specific   :)  Not 2 times.  Not 3 times, but 2.5 times   :D

Lookin' great Colin.  So have you been taking time to admire your work?  I bet you have  ;D

Aim for "Framed Up" by the end the Feb.

Tom M.

Your build is looking great, Colin. Regarding schedules, I find I have enough of those at work, and don't want the stress in my hobby. I certainly have an idea in mind as to how long things MIGHT take (and then use Jack's 2,5 multiplier :)) but really my attitude is it'll take as long as it takes. The "deadline" for my current project is "spring"- March would be good but May is also possible. I spend as much time in the shop as I can, but it will still only be done when it's done.
Anyway, the way this winter's going unfrozen water won't be available 'till July, so no rush for your water bomber- she's going to be a beaut.
Tom

Andy Hoffer

I am SO glad that Tom pointed out the anticipated longevity of this year's "White Water Float Flying" season.  This will give Colin all the time he needs to really savour and luxuriate in this fantastic build.

Way to go Colin.  Great thread!

Andy