CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Progress is still being made but no pics because its one of those things where there is a lot getting done but it would look exactly the same in pics.  There will be pics by the weekend. :)

Even though the plans "suggest" that the builder should omit flaps (since the wingloading is so low) I have decided to build them in. Afterall, what's a water bomber without those huge signature flap hinges?  ;D  They do add quite a bit of additional work but it'll be worth it in the finished product! 

So far, I've got most of it framed up (wing, ailerons and flaps) and did an interim weigh in with the wood for the nacelles and winglets added in.  REALLY pleased to report that so far we're only up to 14ozs ... so I only have to add the tip floats, the servo support plates, the actual hinges, hinges supports, control horn hard points and covering to that total. I'm guessing 20ozs tops. 

I'll be so excited if I meet my goal of 6lbs all up cause of the fact that most of the flying done with this will be off grass and based on my experience in the past with a CL- 215 that I had ... it needs to be as light as possible to overcome that drag. 

That plane was a porker at almost 14lbs (more than double the weight of this 415) with only 264 sq inches more of wing area. It had to have a dolly to get off the ground and that eventually posed all sorts of problems. See a video of its maiden at http://youtu.be/IcIXaMmJ_vk

Colin       
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

bfeist

Plus, with flaps you might even be able to carry some flour as a payload and strafe the field.

wollins

Funny you should mention that cause I was thinking it would be cool to rig up such a thing!  ;D Anyways, these flaps are taking longer than I thought. Since I'd never done these types of hinges before I did a "mock up" to see how they would look and how the geometry would work.  Turns out it works just fine ... so much so that I decided that I would keep the servo and the control rod within the wing.  (I have to figure out how to do the same for the ailerons.)

BTW, as this was just a mock up to check the geometry, the final version of the hinges will be quite a bit bigger and more robust ... somewhat like the disproportionally large full size ones.  ;)

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

Phenomenal to see the amount of prep and planning you're doing. A model of a model, to make sure you get it sorted. That's dedication!

Nice one Colin.

wollins

Thanks Simon!

Still working on those flap hinges but I thought these were some cool shots.  ;) I'll button up the wing tomorrow (hinging and servo install etc) and start on the nacelles and tip floats with the goal of finishing them by the 30th.

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

These pictures certainly do justice to the model. It looks fab.

But the best bit is that you already have pilots in! A very important detail!

Ededge2002

I agree that it looks great all together.  My only complaint is that for slightly more time you could have built a second one for me!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Lookin' great Colin!  You're a real builder now!  I'm so proud  ;D

wollins

Quote from: piker on March 24, 2014, 05:59:01 PM

I don't know about "builder", previously I thought of myself as a good "modifier"!  ;D  In any event, you should be proud cause if it wasn't for you this would never have turned out the way it's turning out. (Remember my comments that first night when we went over the plans? lol!) 

So ... finally got the hinges done ... took so long because they're fiddly PLUS I had to do them over because I was looking at a pic of the full size (first pic) and noticed that the hinges are so large they extend a bit below the top of the cabin. (I used that line for reference)

Turns out my first set were too small so I decided to do them over. (second pic shows size difference)  The last pic shows the final version relating to my point of reference. (the cabin roof line)

Okay enough with the hinges already ... moving on.  :)

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Quote from: wollins on March 24, 2014, 09:55:41 PM
Quote from: piker on March 24, 2014, 05:59:01 PM

(Remember my comments that first night when we went over the plans? lol!) 
Colin

I remember a lot of whining  ;D

sihinch

Robert, Robert, Robert! What's up? Why so negative so recently? Getting at me and now getting at Colin.

Where's the love, Man?

Michael

I'll take Robert's negativity any day.

Robert's "negativity" is the happiest and most enthusiastic support simply disguised in humour.

;D
Michael

piker

Quote from: sihinch on March 25, 2014, 09:52:33 AM
Robert, Robert, Robert! What's up? Why so negative so recently? Getting at me and now getting at Colin.

Where's the love, Man?

Ya know.  I thought about that as I was responding, but I couldn't let this one go.  You should have heard him!   ;D

Just having fun.  Don't take anything I say seriously   :)

wollins

Quote from: piker on March 25, 2014, 10:49:05 AM

Ya know.  I thought about that as I was responding, but I couldn't let this one go.  You should have heard him!   ;D

I must respond to that ...

:P

C.
|
|
|

Andy Hoffer

Ouch! Ouch! My sides are aching! (I love it!!)   Robert's posts are the best!

Great view from the gold seats on the 50-yard line.

Andy