CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on May 14, 2014, 12:48:26 PM
That's a good plan.  It's better to build during the winter and flying during the summer... for most of us...  :)

Plan to have the albatross ready for April next year.

It is most gratifying to penetrate such a great psyche!  ;D

Andy

piker

Next float flying is in just under two weeks!!!

wollins

Updated to do list: (Progress IS being made  ;D)

1. Install spray rails
2. Paint fuse bottoms.
3. Paint tip float bottoms
4. Prime and paint cowls
5. Poly, prime and paint hull handles
6. Install hull handles
7. Paint fuse yellow
8. Install windshield
9. Install nav lights in winglets (still iffy on this one since winglets are removable the lights have to be "disconnectable" so not sure if it might be worth it.)
10. Install beacon lights in mid wing
11. Install magnets to attach battery hatch
12. Sheet bottom wing saddle
13. Install rear wing attachment
14. FINALLY ... cover wing  ;D
15. Connect all electronics and test the system

MAIDEN!

16. Add stripes and decals
17. Install faux "wheels", windows and all the extra fancy stuff!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Nice! 

So what do you mean by paint fuse and tip float bottoms?  Are they a different colour or just so you can sit the parts while you paint the rest?

I hung my Sandy and painted the whole thing in one go.

wollins

Yeah the bottoms are red (fuse and tip floats) and the tops are yellow (apart from striping etc, but that's another matter all together!  ::)) so I want that to cure for a few days before I mask to paint the tops ... to reduce the chance of paint liftoff. You'll notice along the red line there are some filler patches, that's where I had some liftoff of the primer.  Easy fix though, just adds more time to re prime and re sand those patches. (I've learned from that mistake so that wont be happening again)

As I've mentioned before, there are many fiddly bits to this plane and to make it even more complicated there are the little "pieces" that are different colours. Good example is the nose ... there are ALL the colors bunched up in that little space ... the black, the red, the white and the yellow! This will make masking a nightmare. It all results in an inordinate amount of time to do. I'm still debating whether to do the striping in covering as opposed to paint.  What do you think?

Another thing that I found to be a huge challenge was to find the exact match of paint to the covering.  Both the red and the yellow have to be matched exactly.  Well, after MUCH searching I found some that I think matches it pretty well. (or close enough!) Figures I would choose THIS version for my first build! (the 215 would have sooooo much simpler.  ;))

Ok, enough griping!  Nobody likes a WHINER! ;D I've got some masking to do!

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Pretty close color match huh?  :)

Colin
|
|
|

Andy Hoffer

Excellent!  The bottom of the fuse is a perfect colour match for the top of the bar stool.   ;D

Andy

wollins

Adjust your screen color, Andy!  ;) ;) But seriously, you're right, the red is not a perfect match but that doesn't matter so much as the yellow which is the more important since it's the entire fuse's color.  Also, the red covering is for relatively small areas like the wing tips, winglets, and some bits going up the tail.  If push comes to shove and its VERY obvious I'll just paint those parts red.  ;D

Colin 
|
|
|

piker

Nice work!

I hope I'm able to get this info to you soon enough...

I've had problems painting Kryon (H2O) over Krylon (H2O), believe it or not.  In a few area's (tail of my Macchi M-33, tail and lettering on the Sandringham, I've had the second coats crackle and flake off.  I was surprised since the paints were the same make, just different colours.  I've learned since, that you either need to recoat within a few hours, or wait a week before applying the second colour.  It MAY say something to that effect on the can.  I haven't tried it yet, but it's something you may want to keep in mind.  I can show you the results of the problem if you're interested.

I'd be even more concerned about using different brands.  Maybe do some test pieces.   :)

wollins

Quote from: piker on May 23, 2014, 05:12:50 PM
In a few area's (tail of my Macchi M-33, tail and lettering on the Sandringham, I've had the second coats crackle and flake off.

Hmmm ... interesting.  How long after being applied did the second coat fall off? Long time (months) or relatively quickly?

Colin   
|
|
|

wollins

I'm actually pleased with the paint job so far .. turned out better than I thought it would.  Just have to add the black on the nose now and do some minor touch-ups on the red and I'm done with painting. (stripes etc after the maiden. ;))

Updated to do list: (Progress IS being made  ;D)

1. Install spray rails
2. Paint fuse bottoms.
3. Paint tip float bottoms
4. Prime and paint cowls
5. Poly, prime and paint hull handles
6. Install hull handles
7. Paint fuse yellow
8. Install windshield
9. Install nav lights in winglets
10. Install beacon lights in mid wing
11. Install magnets to attach battery hatch
12. Sheet bottom wing saddle
13. Install rear wing attachment
14. FINALLY ... cover wing  ;D
15. Connect all electronics and test the system

MAIDEN!

16. Add stripes and decals
17. Install faux "wheels", side windows and all the extra fancy stuff!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

sihinch

Lookin' good (and yellow!)  ;)

wollins

Yeah I don't think I'll have any trouble seeing it in any conditions! lol!

Colin
|
|
|

piker

Yes!  That looks fantastic!! 

Test flight tomorrow evening?

wollins

Quote from: piker on May 30, 2014, 03:00:45 PM
Yes!  That looks fantastic!! 

Test flight tomorrow evening?

Still a couple weeks away for that. ;)
|
|
|