Foam Wing Cores

Started by Bigstik, July 16, 2014, 08:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

Anyone cut foam wing cores?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Skyking

I have a couple of bows and an adjustable power source. Have not cut cores before though.
I could bring it over and try it with you or something.

Ken
Actually, I can.

piker

I have quite a bit of experience cutting wing cores using the bow and template method.  What do you want to know?

Bigstik

Rob, are you, moving closer to Guelph anytime soon?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Bigstik

Kidding aside, when is the best time to hook up? During the week or weekend?

What kind of template do you need? The chord is constant, no taper. 24" x 3.75", 18%

Are you coming west in the near future?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Bigstik

Anyone have foam wing cutter setup for sale?

Bigstik
Bigstik

piker

Hey Alan,

I didn't know I was volunteering to cut wings for you!   ;D

I make my templates from 1/8" aircraft ply and sand the heck out of them.  It's best to have a lead on and trail off area so the wire doesn't get left in the foam when you stop.  You need a template at both ends, in most cases, and a second person to hold the other end of the bow.

Bigstik

No way. Perhaps if we lived closer.

Ken Ross volunteered to bring his cutter gizmo over, but I don't think he knows where I live.

It's nice to know what's available.

Bigstik
Bigstik

piker

I was cutting wings last night.  The cutting itself is pretty fast and straight forward, but it's the set-up that takes time. 

Why don't you set something up yourself?  That way you can cut whenever you like.  It's pretty easy once you have the gear.  You just need a current adjust device of some sort.  A model train transformer?  A dimmer switch?  I don't know.  I've always used an Astroflight Ni-Cad digital charger with the current adjust knob.  Mine died years ago, so now I'm using Ben's... I'll give it back eventually  ;D

I'll take pictures of my set-up tonight and post them here tomorrow for your reference.

Bigstik

Thanks Rob. I'd like to see what's involved.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Bigstik

Bigstik

piker

Whoops!  Sorry.  I've been busy.

I'll try to get them on here tomorrow

Bigstik

A fella from Australia sent the instructions to make an automatic foam wing cutter. It's a home made version of the Tekoa Feather Cut.  Will try my hand at making it after flying season.

Bigstik
Bigstik