SHORT SOLENT MARK IV – 2014 WINTER BUILD

Started by wollins, September 03, 2014, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

I finally got the nose to a somewhat respectable shape, making it much more "roundy" as per the full size as opposed to the stark angular look as per the plans. (BTW, I hate planking and I sooooo suck at it!) A final round of filler and sanding and I can move on. (I didn't enjoy this part of the build because of my intense dislike for planking ... thank goodness I'm still able to make the end result look good!  ;D )

Colin

P.S The pic of the all white plane is another modeler's and shows the nose as per the plans.
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Ok, as I've mentioned earlier, one of the mods is to make the canopy and upper deck forward of the wing one big hatch, as opposed to the little dedicated "roof hatch" that the plans suggest.  Obvious reason for this is that my method will give me a lot more room for my hands to get in there to swap/hookup batteries etc.

Here are a couple of pics with the start of my effort.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Sticks, sticks and more sticks! This is how she's gonna be positioned.  The canopy plug is just there fore reference. (I have to make another one since it's a tiny bit too small for this model.) 

Colin

P.S. The lightening holes are my feeble attempt to lose some weight! lol!
|
|
|

sihinch

Wowsers!

It reminds me of those photos from the 1920s of Guys in New York hanging from steel girders!  Massive construction, and all beams & struts.

Very nice.

wollins

Thanks Simon! 

So ... I found some wood. ;) It's hard to imagine this piece of stuck together lumber will be transformed into a smooth form that will serve as my plug to pull the canopy off of. At least that's the plan.  ::) Stay tuned, I have MUCH chopping, grinding, sanding, filling and buffing to do.  ;D

Colin   
|
|
|

wollins

Halfway there.  ;D
|
|
|

piker

gmcnic

Ok Colin, as a "lurker" I just have to ask, did you make that out of 2x4's??

While I am at it, how many hours are you up to now?
It is looking so nice!!

wollins

Quote from: gmcnic on December 19, 2014, 08:42:52 PM
Ok Colin, as a "lurker" I just have to ask, did you make that out of 2x4's??

While I am at it, how many hours are you up to now?
It is looking so nice!!

Yup! Good ole lumber!  ;D  Hours so far ... 225. (475 to go?  ;))  BTW, my goal to finish this fuse is Jan 31st.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

80% there. (can't see any difference can you! lol) Anyway it needs to be a smidge flatter at the top and the sides near the front need to come in a little and then i'll be satisfied.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

90% done.   ;D And now the hard part ... getting it as smooth as Rob's (in the foreground) ... which is as smooth as glass ... no word of a lie.

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

What Grit Sandpapers are you planning to use?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Oh I have as smooth as 1000 grit (which is like rubbing with plain paper. :)) and every grit in between.
|
|
|

wollins

Well, I got it to the stage of attempting to pull the canopy and that was a complete failure. :(  My heat gun couldn't develop enough heat to get the plastic pliable enough. grrrrr.  So now I have to put out an appeal for anyone with a vacuum former to help me out.  If that doesn't work I'll either have to make my own or build the canopy the old fashion way.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Well, since I can't get the canopy pulled just yet, I started the sheeting. Really does show its true size as soon as there's sides to it!

Colin
|
|
|