96" Grumman Albatross flying boat kit/scratch built model

Started by Michael, November 06, 2014, 09:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Now it's beginning to look like a flying boat!

It's been a busy and a productive day of model airplane construction.

Fuselage sides are built up, then joined with a built-up plywood center section which supports the wings and the servos for the tail. Also glued in place is a built-up plywood platform for a battery, and the formers are glued in.
Michael

Michael

All right, that's all I can get done on this thing this weekend. We have guests coming over to visit soon.

The servos and pushrod sleeves are installed, and the top area over the wing has been sheeted. The servos were supposed to be completely sealed in, but I built a snug-fitting hatch for access.

The last image (with the red arrow) shows balsa sheeting on a compound curve. I spray Windex on the sheeting before gluing it on. It becomes pliable and rubbery, and then can be worked as needed. I glue on the sheeting while the wood is still wet.
Michael

wollins

Quote from: Michael on December 14, 2014, 02:41:53 PM
All right, that's all I can get done on this thing this weekend.

That's all? ???  ;D You'll be done the entire plane before I even finish my fuse! (deadline Jan month end)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Wow this looks amazing! What a fabulous model and build thread.

Michael

Quote from: wollins on December 14, 2014, 03:05:30 PM
Quote from: Michael on December 14, 2014, 02:41:53 PM
All right, that's all I can get done on this thing this weekend.

That's all? ??? ;D You'll be done the entire plane before I even finish my fuse! (deadline Jan month end)

Colin

The construction is the easy part.

Finishing will take the most time.

BTW, the fuselage at this point, with servos and pushrod sleeves and all plywood parts, weighs 576 grams (a little more than one pound).
Michael

Michael

Michael

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Michael

Papa

You change your mind so frequently I figured you had a new Prototype in mind.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

I'm back at it!

Here's about 3 hours of work; essentially sheeting the upper fuselage and lower fin.

Michael

Papa

A motto to live by:

Michael

Those parts were not laser-cut; those were cut out by me from templates, and then sanded to a fine bevel.
Michael

Michael

This rear part of the lower fuselage has been planked, but will be covered by more structure and sheeting later.

With the tail in place, it looks like an airplane!

Michael

Wingnutz

Quote from: Michael on December 15, 2014, 01:40:34 PM
Decals ordered.

Canadian it is!
Wow! A Canadian marked Skywriter and now a Canadian Grumman Albatross! I'm feeling overwhelmed with patriotism! ... and awed by the speed at which you build! Do you ever sleep or just stay up and build model airplanes?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Fantastic work!  I can't wait for float flying season!!!!