Ye olde "Don't lengthen the battery(ies) to ESC(s)" debate...anything new?

Started by Wingnutz, October 03, 2015, 06:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

So, to go back to my original question, "Has anybody lost a model because battery to ESC leads were long?"
As an aside, thanks to all who chimed in...and... it's reassuring to know some things never change...this debate will rage on in the electric powered RC world and Frank and Andy will continue to exchange witticisms...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

pmackenzie

Castle sells a capacitor bank to be used, and mentions the long battery lead problem.

"Larger electric power systems lead to larger electric powered aircraft, and sometimes the distance between the battery pack and the ESC grows beyond the length of the wires installed on the components. Adding wire also adds inductance, which can increase the ripple voltage in a system. CC CapPack essentially negates the ripple caused by the addition of up to 8 inches of length to the battery wires."

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc-cap-pack.html

Schulze also sells capacitor banks, and explains when they should be used:

" Long battery cables etc. on future and other speed controllers

The future (and other types e. g. smart or slim ) electronic speed controllers have been designed to operate correctly with a cable length between battery and controller at a maximum of 20 cm (7 inch) each lead.
In some installations it will be necessary to increase the length of the battery cables. In this case it is necessary to install additional low-ESR decoupling capacitors. The installation of these additional capacitors allows the increase to a total length of battery cables to as much as 30-50 cm (12-20 inches), depending on the motor load or 30 cm when using not inline (not end-to-end) soldered packs (12" pos.+ 12" neg. cable between "saddle-packs" and controller).
schulze Order Term: cap-330µ/50V (2 pieces - up to 32 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH cells / with mounting instruction).
schulze Order Term: cap-330µ/16V (2 pieces - up to 11 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH cells / with mounting instruction). "

http://www.matthias-schulze-elektronik.de/old_schulze_gmbh_homepage/index_uk.htm

The cheap brands that most of us use don't mention this, but they also come with no warranty

AS I stated earlier, the issue is not the resistance of the wire, but rather its inductance.

wollins

Quote from: Wingnutz on October 05, 2015, 03:16:34 AM
So, to go back to my original question, "Has anybody lost a model because battery to ESC leads were long?"

I haven't ... unfortunately most of my crashes can't be blamed on my equipment! ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Quote from: Wingnutz on October 05, 2015, 03:16:34 AM

I haven't because I keep my battery to ESC wires relatively short...  :)