HK Tundra

Started by Oscar, March 21, 2016, 10:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

I was looking for a versatile plane that does well in windy conditions, as well able to fly off the snow, FPV, floats yet the price is not too expensive.  Then I found HK Tundra.  The plane fits what I need.  Comes with FPV canopy, Floats, CF Prop, BIG foam wheels, FLAPS.  I do have a Ski from my Skymule that fits onto the Tundra for the snowy season. 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__81374__Durafly_174_8482_Tundra_1300mm_Sports_Model_w_Flaps_PnF_.html

The assemble is about an hour to complete (That's include binding and setup the 45 degree and 90 degree flaps).  The instruction is very clear and details.  After assembly, first thing I noticed, the plane is very light.  It's about the weight of the VisionAire.   The wheels is huge yet light.  The website did say it's made of EPP foam (those indoor 3D planes material)

Last Saturday, I took it out for maiden.  Condition was 20+ km/h wind and it constantly shifting wind direction.  Most pilots probably won't pick that condition to maiden.  But, I thought, this is perfect to put this plane for the test.

The maiden went very well.  I didn't even have to do any trim of the plane.  It takes off within 3 feet (well, the strong wind helps too).  The plane has lots of power.  I was running 3S 2200mah Nano-Tech.  It doesn't draw a lot of power.  I was able to fly for 10 minutes with mix throttle and I still have 3.85v remaining. (HK claims it can fly upto 20 minutes) The landing is a bit bouncy.  Maybe if I remove the spring from the landing gear, it won't bounce that much. 

Overall it's a fun plane to fly and it's a keeper.

Sidenote:  It's a mod of Multiplex FunCub (even HK admits it) but the price is a lot cheaper.  The eyes sticker comes from my Disney Dusty decal.  The plane also has a pre-cut slot for tow planes and candy dropper.  Those are optional accessories.

https://youtu.be/iORBU1dDbtI

retiredVTT

Try a GRASS landing, if those wheels are hard foam like the Fun-Cub. Less bounce on grass, especially after it thaws..!

Bill

Oscar

Thank you Bill for the suggestion.  I will try it next time.   :D

Candu

Oscar, I was keeping my eyes on that model too. Have you tried the flaps? The look very aggressive from the pictures.

Oscar

I haven't try the flaps.  It's was quite windy that day.  But it was on my list to try out. 

Oscar

This is my Go-To plane for after work flight.  I usually fly it after the student class is over.  However, with the sky getting dark, it's getting hard to see the plane.  So I added the led lights.  Now, I can see it better.   ;D

Oscar

Took the Tundra out late evening.  Thank you Ken, Felix and Ricky as my spotter.   :D

Winter flying - Checked
STOL - Checked
Float fly - Checked
FPV - Checked
Night flying - Checked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi-Jjnd2jLE

Oscar

The other day I saw Dr. John has a Tundra too. While talking to him, he has the new edition of Tundra. Apparently HobbyKing has enhanced the setup. The Tundra now equipped with a 40amp ESC with reverse function.  You just need to plug to your AUX channel and assign to a 2 position switch. That means for the float flyer, you can now taxi backward. (So cool).