Float Flying Locations

Started by piker, May 10, 2016, 03:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

O.K. Float Flyers and potential Float Flyers... I need your input...

We've had a lot of enthusiasm for float flying in recent years, and now, more than ever, our members are building very cool models to fly from water.  I want to help keep the enthusiasm strong by finding better places to fly.  A huge part of float flying is the location and the environment...

For this reason, I'm constantly on the look out for the ideal float flying location within a reasonable distance for most of us.  The problem is, there are limited useable sights in the area, and most of those offer no access or require hard to get permission.  Jack, myself, and most recently, Rob Dickenson, have searched out places and approached the owners for permission.  Currently, Rob is on a mission to find us a place, and he's definitely on the trail of one good spot.  I have another great spot that I know of as well.  The problem is distance.

I'll get to the point. Here are four sites that we have, or likely will have access to.  I'll list the pros and cons for each.

Frenchman's Bay:  38 minutes from TEMAC (according to Google Maps, so will be less in reality)

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8121499,-79.092777/43.8123733,-79.0917481/@43.8118159,-79.0947566,15.69z

We are very familiar with this location as we've been flying there for a few years.  It's a nice location with good water access and pretty good flying sightlines.  The drawback is that it's getting busier with more cars, people and boaters.  I'm worried that one of these days we'll show up and have no where to park or fly.  The other major drawback if the wind.  Usually the wind is from the south west, which is turbulent and challenging for landing and taking off.  And because it's so close to the large lake, it can be windy there even when calm inland a couple of Km's.

Tavares Pond:   31 minutes from TEMAC

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8558017,-79.5990842/43.8598289,-79.5998347/@43.8574843,-79.5980026,1567m/data=!3m1!1e3

We were very lucky to be invited to the private property of David Tavares.  David is always accommodating and seems happy to have us there.  But we have to schedule a date and hope that David will be home.  For this reason, I consider this location to be limited to just 3 times per year.   As much as it's a beautiful place to fly, I find the sightlines are limited and the size of pond a little restricting.  Still, I like the idea of using this location a couple of time per year, for variety.

Joseph's Lake:   34 minutes from TEMAC

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.2237483,-79.2495027/44.2250402,-79.2500598/@44.2218842,-79.2528008,1193m/data=!3m1!1e3

O.K., this is BRAND new and still in the works.  Please don't go there until we know we're invited.  Rob is working on it.  But I want to know what you think of the distance.  This looks like a nice, private, large pond, with calm water, that would be great for flying.  I'll fly at this location to get a real feel for the size and sight lines before we organize a float fly there, but I want to get your feedback on distance.  Pros are:  inland so good wind conditions, pretty good size and access, probably available for us whenever we want.  Con:  Distance, pond size may be restricting because of trees

Top of Scugog Island:   50 minutes from TEMAC

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.2013821,-78.8757505/44.2161589,-78.867114/@44.2148612,-78.8703174,1440m/data=!3m1!1e3

This location is fairly close to where I live.  It's crown land so we are free to go there.  There is a large parking area with a boat ramp and plenty of easy access to the water.  The sight lines are excellent, and there's plenty of room to fly.  The lake calms down quickly and is usually calm and ideal in the evenings.  Cons:  Distance is the biggest.  I'm not sure about boat traffic in the summer, although I think it would be limited in the evening.  I'll go there to fly on a Saturday evening, to see how it works, and report back.

Of all the sites above, I really think Scugog Island is by far the best, but also the furthest (for most).

Let me know what you think?

Would you be interested in a float fly at either of these new locations out?

Michael

I'm OK with any of them.

An hour (or so) drive to Lake Scugog is certainly worth a few hours of float flying.
Michael

sihinch

Find me a nice float flying spot, with unobstructed landing approach & views in both directions, and a cool float flying plane and I'm there!  ;D

bweaver

Considering I am just getting started in this type of flying, any of the locations are fine for me.  Thanks for coordinating things.

Wingnutz

I'm good with any of the locations and have no problem with the drive to Scugog. I'd love to go to the Scugog site just to try it out. :D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Skyking

Joseph, Tavares and Frenchmans.
But I would come out to Scugogg.

Thanks Robert
Actually, I can.

Oscar

That's great.  I go with any location.     :D