CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Thanks Michael, Happy New Year.
I think I finally have the flaps working the way I want them to. Now that is done I can get on to the final components that need building, the nacelles.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

That looks really good, Rob.

"Happy Crimble and a Very New Year!" --- did you look it up?

Nose block mostly shaped.
Michael

sihinch

Gosh you Guys! I need you to build me something beautiful, too!

Merry Crimbo y'all

octagon

Just looked it up Michael. Do you have the album?
your build looks great, if I was doing it again I might do just what you did. Build it without the framing. I think you will achieve your goal of light weight and a relatively strait-forward plane. You are right in your earlier post though, it is just slightly more than a scratch build. Still, I am enjoying it as I like coming up with my own solutions to problems. I find it best to size up what I want to do and then let it simmer and percolate for a  day or so. I then can usually come up with a solution.

Michael

I sold my Beatles Christmas records years ago.

Here is a genuine Lennon-McCartney- Harrison-Starr original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxJu5jjFogM

Michael

Michael

Battery hatch completed (except for magnets).

Michael

octagon

Michael

After some careful consideration, I've decided to use balsa for the cockpit windows. A contrasting adhesive trim colour will simulate windows.

The whole idea of those little sticks between windows, painting the interior, and adding clear plastic just insn't within my KISS strategy.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

re: the windows.  Use clear Monokote.  Absolutely the easiest way to make windows.  All the windows on my Norseman were done with clear Monokote.  I added them after covering the fuselage, cutting the clear monokote about 1/8" larger than the windows, sealing the edges first then shrinking them tight.  Even the front windshield was done in clear Monokote.

I will donate the clear Monokote for all 4 projects if you want to try it.  Will bring it New Year's day.

Keep building.  All 3 projects look great. :)   What I love about building with balsa is converting flat sticks and sheets into a 3 dimensional work of art... that hopefully flies.  8)  Can never get that from foam.  Sorry Bruce.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Thanks, Frank, but I'm also concerned about another area from which water will enter the hull.
I'm sticking with balsa.

Work underway.
Michael

bweaver

Fantastic builds.  I am thoroughly enjoying watching the construction of each aircraft.  I find all very informative and I am learning a lot.  It is important to recognize that there are different ways to 'skin a cat' (sorry to all cat people).

I do however have to respond to a recent post made by @Frank v B stating: Keep building.  All 3 projects look great. :)   What I love about building with balsa is converting flat sticks and sheets into a 3 dimensional work of art... that hopefully flies.  8)  Can never get that from foam.  Sorry Bruce.
[/b]

Frank, I am not snooty about balsa like some people tend to be.  I appreciate people (including myself) who are multi-talented in the use of various forms of materials used in the construction of 3 dimensional flying aircraft. 

Frank, here are just a few links for your reference.  You might wish to try it sometime.  Foam isn't made just for insulation you know!

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,5636.msg36677.html#msg36677

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6084.0.html

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6057.0.html

(Sorry Michael, this contribution made to this post was just for the record.  By the way, you build great flying 3 dimensional flying foam aircraft too.)

Michael

Yeah, I like foam and balsa; both make fun flying models.

Anyway, major balsa and glue construction is done!

Michael

Michael

1189 grams; 2 pounds 10 ounces, with 4 servos.

I'd be interested in comparing weight with the other models.

Michael

Michael

I took a 20 minute break from the CL415.

Michael

octagon

Wow Michael. You are really getting on. I was very glad you posted so many pictures of building the nacelles, helped a lot, thanks. I built mine today. As so often happens when I have two of something to build the second one takes half the time and turns out twice as good as the first one. So it is with the nacelles, the left one is more square and went together much faster than the right one. I should learn to build the second one first! I thought I had some triangle stock, which is used to finish the top of the nacelles but apparently not, so enough for tonight. Michael, I will weigh my plane tomorrow and let you know. I expect it will be around the 4 pound mark with the sheeting for the wing and extra framing.
Frank, I will happily take you up on your kind offer of clear monocote. I have been trying to figure out how to make good and waterproof windows. Thanks.