Flying the Big Gusts - Tues Dec 22 2020

Started by Andy Hoffer, December 22, 2020, 06:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Ever trying to emulate the limitless aeronautic prowess of our talented CFI @Frank v B , I decided to take it to the next level today.  Temperature, a balmy 3.4oC .  Skies were a beautiful mix of sun and raggedy cumulus.  But the winds literally took your breath away - NW at 20 kmh gusting 34.2 kmh as measured at 7 ft AGL.

Wowee zowee!  It was the BEST cross-wind day ever!  Very delicate on the sticks.  Upwind at 10 kmh ground speed, downwind at 70 kmh!!  I'm almost ready for a jet!!!  8)

Andy

GuyOReilly

There is only one expression that can accurately describe this dedication: NERVES OF STEEL!!!
Going flying in this weather, one has to have lost a few marbles or an incredible confidence in one's abilities, possibly as a result of the training through osmosis by close proximity to @Frank v B during pre-COVID times.
I suspect that you were also comfortably dressed for the weather.
Glad to hear you had a great day, I was toasty warm by the fireplace...
Guy

Frank v B

Guy, re: "There is only one expression that can accurately describe this dedication: NERVES OF STEEL!!!"

You may think Andy's winter flying has elements of osmosis and supernatural behaviour but if I did that, my wife would refer to me as "stupid, idiot, moron, etc.).  Of course my wife is just verbalising Mita's* true feelings about Andy. ;) ;) ;D

Frank

* Martyr Mita is Andy's wife. ;D ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Inspired by @Frank v B 's cleverly disguised praise and admiration above, I could not help but go out for a more extended flying session today (Dec 23).  This time the winds were  southeast at 20 gusting 30 kmh, a little less forceful than yesterday. Lots of neat ragged clouds for a backdrop - much easier on the eyes than flat grey overcast.  So conditions were ideal for more fabulous cross-wind practice and helicopter landings.  Taxiing was very challenging but doable, and very rewarding. The runway is clear, and waiting for the dump of snow forecast for Christmas day.   @davidk successfully tested out a new 4S power setup for one of his STOL aircraft just before I arrived, and is now rehabbing our wind sock which was literally hanging on by a thread (Thanks Dave!).   

For some reason the sky was empty (except for a very fast full-scale Piper Twin Comanche who flew over enroute to Buttonville) so it was mongo aerobatics time.  You definitely get value for your membership dollar on days like this.   8)

Andy