• February 28, 2021, 02:25:18 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Author Topic: Flying the Big Gusts - Tues Dec 22 2020  (Read 340 times)

Offline Andy Hoffer

• Global Moderator
  • Ace
Flying the Big Gusts - Tues Dec 22 2020
« on: December 22, 2020, 06:01:23 PM »
Ever trying to emulate the limitless aeronautic prowess of our talented CFI @Frank v B , I decided to take it to the next level today.  Temperature, a balmy 3.4oC .  Skies were a beautiful mix of sun and raggedy cumulus.  But the winds literally took your breath away - NW at 20 kmh gusting 34.2 kmh as measured at 7 ft AGL.

Wowee zowee!  It was the BEST cross-wind day ever!  Very delicate on the sticks.  Upwind at 10 kmh ground speed, downwind at 70 kmh!!  I'm almost ready for a jet!!!  8)

Andy

Offline GuyOReilly

• Captain
  • Started Flying RC: 1998
Re: Flying the Big Gusts - Tues Dec 22 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 09:07:30 AM »
There is only one expression that can accurately describe this dedication: NERVES OF STEEL!!!
Going flying in this weather, one has to have lost a few marbles or an incredible confidence in one's abilities, possibly as a result of the training through osmosis by close proximity to @Frank v B during pre-COVID times.
I suspect that you were also comfortably dressed for the weather.
Glad to hear you had a great day, I was toasty warm by the fireplace...
Guy

Offline Frank v B

• Ace
  • TEMAC - Assistant to the Assistant Greeter.
  • TEMAC #: 141
  • Started Flying RC: 1989
Re: Flying the Big Gusts - Tues Dec 22 2020
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 09:47:35 AM »
Guy, re: "There is only one expression that can accurately describe this dedication: NERVES OF STEEL!!!"

You may think Andy's winter flying has elements of osmosis and supernatural behaviour but if I did that, my wife would refer to me as "stupid, idiot, moron, etc.).  Of course my wife is just verbalising Mita's* true feelings about Andy. ;) ;) ;D

Frank

* Martyr Mita is Andy's wife. ;D ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Offline Andy Hoffer

• Global Moderator
  • Ace
Re: Flying the Big Gusts - Tues Dec 22 2020 and Wed Dec 23 2020
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 07:13:34 PM »
Inspired by @Frank v B 's cleverly disguised praise and admiration above, I could not help but go out for a more extended flying session today (Dec 23).  This time the winds were  southeast at 20 gusting 30 kmh, a little less forceful than yesterday. Lots of neat ragged clouds for a backdrop - much easier on the eyes than flat grey overcast.  So conditions were ideal for more fabulous cross-wind practice and helicopter landings.  Taxiing was very challenging but doable, and very rewarding. The runway is clear, and waiting for the dump of snow forecast for Christmas day.   @davidk successfully tested out a new 4S power setup for one of his STOL aircraft just before I arrived, and is now rehabbing our wind sock which was literally hanging on by a thread (Thanks Dave!).   

For some reason the sky was empty (except for a very fast full-scale Piper Twin Comanche who flew over enroute to Buttonville) so it was mongo aerobatics time.  You definitely get value for your membership dollar on days like this.   8)

Andy