Top Notch Bush Hawk

Started by octagon, April 01, 2022, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

I started work on a plane from my childhood called a Found. It was built in Parry Sound Ontario and earned a reputation as a workhorse. Not many were built until the company folded. It is my understanding that at some point the plane was resurrected and given the name of Bush Hawk. Anyway, when I was a kid my dad built a model of a Found and I flew the plane many many times. I wish I knew what happened to it but that is lost. So recently I did a search for Found as a kit or plans to build as I finished the Sopwith Pup and flying season is not really here yet.I came across a company called Top Notch that is owned and run by a guy named John Valentine. I ordered the kit. I have to say that of all the kits I have built over the years this one is the best. The laser cutting, the quality of the wood, the fit of everything is just amazing. I did find the enclosed fiberglass cowl was not square and so I contacted John, and he is sending a new, updated version that is held with magnets. I have not started the fuse yet so as to be able to make sure everything fits. I have finished the wing and am about 80% done the horizontal stab and elevators. If you look at the elevators you will notice they kind of look odd, sticking out kind of. This is because they and the rudder are interchangable, so if you had your Found way back in the bush and somehow damaged the rudder, you could remove an elevator and it would fit right into the vertical stab and become a rudder.
What could possibly go wrong?

GuyOReilly

Me in the cockpit of a Found Bush Aircraft.
An a 3-view photo taken from the factory office during my tour of the factory by the President and Owner A.F. (Tony) Hamblin (before it folded). :-(
I added a picture where you can see the size of the floats and the window of the backdoor, massive plane.

octagon

Thanks for the photo Guy. Now I have  a picute and registration of an actual plane. I will finish it like this one.

GuyOReilly

A few more pictures for inspiration....

msatin

Thanks Rob for the endorsement of Top Notch
I was looking at either the Bush Hawk or Mini Supreme for next year
You never fail until you stop trying

octagon

I have been slowed down as I had eye surgery and things are quite "different". Also they told me not to be bending too much. But bit by bit I have been ploding along and the plane is starting to take shape.

octagon

The Bush Hawk is coming along. I decided to go pull/pull with the tail wheel and run it off it's own servo. The kit gave me a chance to brush up on my silver soldering skills, something I have not had to do much since I retired. ( as an Optician, I often silver soldered frames). I built the plane so that the elevators and the rudders are all internal, and although a bit of work, it all seems to function as I had envisioned. The torque rod and elevator horn where the silver solder parts.  Pretty much all that remains is the construction of a battery box and hatch and then final sanding starts. I have to say again how great the wood and laser cutting in this kit is. Top Notch Models is a  small but great source for great kits.

octagon

Finished. 2.8 pounds flying weight. Great quality kit. Highly recomment Top Notch Models.  Great wood and laser cutting. Plus, if you have questions, owner answers his phone whenever you call.

Michael

Michael