Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s…….a PT 109

Started by sihinch, January 20, 2024, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Probably not that well!

A little painting this evening.

sihinch

Yes!!!! I've just completed the task that was my biggest mental block on this build. I've added the spray rail.

I was challenged by the complex curve of the hull and the need for symmetry. Having painted the waterline (my other mental block) I had a reference point.

I used 1/16 balsa and then gave it a coat of thinned epoxy. Now I can finish the painting on the hull and prepare for a test float.

sihinch

Ok, on to the next challenge! Adding the gunwales.

These curve with the curve of the bow and are attached to the deck. I was wondering how they would stay attached to the deck while retaining the curve. So I asked Frank how to bend wood....this led me to more research and reading.

So I steamed the wood and have taped it to the outside of the hull, hoping it will retain the curve when dry and the tape is removed.

sihinch

Steaming the gunwales worked a treat!

sihinch

I decided to build a boat because they take up less room than an aircraft. It's actually taking more time, too because you have to build all the details.

This morning was spent building hatches and adding them to the deck. Each hatch consists of 2 flat styrene pieces for the door, 4 strips for the hinge and 2 pieces of bent brass for the handles.

So 8 pieces per door have to be cut, shaped and glued. There are 3 of these hatches!

GuyOReilly

sihinch

Thank you Guy.

Well, despite a frantic 2 days of working on the boat, I don't think it's going to be ready to test tomorrow. I tried!

I've primed it and done the pre-shading but I really wanted a couple of coats of the top coat on plus time for it to dry well. And then I need to reconnect the drivetrain and set-up the radio.

It will for sure be ready for water testing soon!

GuyOReilly

No need to rush the finishing touches.
How about bringing it for "show & tell"?
Guy

sihinch

With each completed milestones comes a new challenge. My latest was how to do the turret rails. The function of these on the real boat are to stop the 2 gunners from shooting each other.

The plans so a very elaborate design built using 1/16 brass rod. There was no way I was going to attempt that given that it's the first time I've ever worked with brass. But I did want to make sure that I had some kind of turret rail.

Anyway, another great success today, I've managed to create two basic turret rails which involved soldering and added a handrail to the side of each turret (Which is scale according to the plan.)

This is enough detail for me on these turret, when they're painted, I think they look great.

sihinch

Inching closer! More cabin details. I think I could have this finished by the end of the weekend. Maybe....