Toogood Pond Monday July 15, 2024

Started by GuyOReilly, July 11, 2024, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

Good Evening All;
I will be at Toogood Pond in Markham on Monday next starting at 2:00 pm.
The fleet is growing and the camaraderie quite enjoyable.

Toogood pond is in Unionville (Kennedy Road north of 7). Google the address as: 276 Main St Unionville, Unionville, ON L3R 2H2

Self-Appointed Admiral of the Fleet Guy   ;D

sihinch

Hoping to be there...may bring MiL, a.k.a shortbread!

(That's her secret service code name!)

Frank v B

I'll be there.
Will bring out a sailboat and possibly the Corvette.

Frank
Self-appointed Rear Admiral

Simon: so Shortbread is in town.  Please say "hello" just in case she/you don't make it out (weather).
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

I think I've got to try this again, if only to pull Frank's anchor chain, or sail winch or capstan or whatever those nautical whiziwigs are that make his sailboat flap its mainsail and jive its jib!

Andy

Frank v B

Google shows the following:

Google's answer about the depth of the pond  "Toogood is a big flat of mud only about 5-6 feet deep..."

but only about a foot at the launch area.

Good to know.

Frank

GuyOReilly

There is rain in 5h3 forecast, I am still going, if not for sailing then a coffee at Starbucks or Tim Horton...

Andy Hoffer

The sailboats will make nice table centres at Tim Hortons!!

This will be a good teaching moment.

FYI, the FvB Met Handbook says the recommended approach to a 66% POP forecast is to sail or fly in  the remaining 34%.  That gives you 40 minutes of recharging or coffee time for every 20 minutes failed or flown.  Brilliant Nederlands smarts!!

Naval Cadet Hoffer. 😎

Frank v B

The boating was good.  The  weather was not too good.
- Andy managed to get his surface skimmer stuck in the only clump of sticks breaking the surface.  Guy's fishing boat pushed him free.
- Guy's sailboat got stuck in the middle when there was no wind....between storms.  he was pushed halfway into shore by Andy's surface skimmer.
- My Flower Class Corvette had its maiden voyage.  Went well.  Needs a little forward trimming.  At full throttle it would actually plane.  Not quite scale.  The motor is a geared brushed 380 and a plane ESC (no reverse).
- The sailing was done between rain storms and fit perfectly into our day.

Photo report:
79- Andy with my corvette- pre maiden voyage.
80- maiden voyage at 1/4 throttle.
81- Andy's skimmer stuck in the branches.
83- the Corvette after the maiden voyage.
84- Guy trying to get his boat back when it started to spit again.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Frank trying to contain his empathy for Andy's tangle with the mid/pond navigation hazard!  Naval Cadet Hoffer 😎

Andy Hoffer

Guy's jubilation at the eventual arrival of the wind, saving his boat from drifting over the control dam at the south end of the pond!! 

You don't want to see the fretful expressions leading up to this!!

😇

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on July 15, 2024, 11:02:24 PMGuy's jubilation at the eventual arrival of the wind, saving his boat from drifting over the control dam at the south end of the pond!! 

You don't want to see the fretful expressions leading up to this!!

😇

You mean desperate and FRIGHTFUL.
I was worried it was going over the dam!

Still had fun.
Guy